Allpar Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just noticed I have a wire in the engine compartment that is going no where, it is orange and then black and has a fusible link and one end is connected to I believe the starter relay on the drivers side shock tower. So what is it checked some wiring diagrams but they don't show much.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Just noticed I have a wire in the engine compartment that is going no where, it is orange and then black and has a fusible link and one end is connected to I believe the starter relay on the drivers side shock tower. So what is it checked some wiring diagrams but they don't show much.
I posted this on Thursday:

From there many wires fan out, one of them is a 20 AWG orange wire (your color may be different) that is a fusible link for the HVAC system. The part that is the fusible link is the 20 AWG orange. Downstream from that is a 14 AWG gray wire that supplies power to the load side of the cooling fan relay. That relay is one of the three on the left fenderwell near the cowl.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I posted this on Thursday:

From there many wires fan out, one of them is a 20 AWG orange wire (your color may be different) that is a fusible link for the HVAC system. The part that is the fusible link is the 20 AWG orange. Downstream from that is a 14 AWG gray wire that supplies power to the load side of the cooling fan relay. That relay is one of the three on the left fenderwell near the cowl.
Thanks for the reply , yesterday by luck I was able to get a wiring diagram from Mitchel motors on the computer and it is some what making sense and according to it the engine fan and turn signals are not connected ??? I haven't ran the car very much my biggest concern is the fan coming on to cool the engine and turn signals are secondary ( but important ). How would I know that the fan relay is getting power. I think that the starter relay and cooling fan relay are located on the drivers side shock tower or am I wrong there are only two on this car. Another thing is it shows all of these fusible links and I sure would like to know where they are at. Also that wire I was talking about is for the hood light, that is why it was getting power all the time. What I am saying can I bypass the relay and temp sensor to get the fan to run without having to hot wire the fan to the battery.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
After looking at the Mitchel wiring diagram ( which is very good ). It almost looks like the problem could be the ignition switch on the column, so how do you adjust it and how hard is it to get to. The wire from the fuse block goes to the switch and also on this side is the radio which also doesn't work. I figure if I could adjust it first and see what happens before thinking about replacing it.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I missed any answer to this, which would be important to your current pursuit:

"How about the adjacent fuses, do they also have voltage? Specifically, how are you testing for voltage at the fuse? Each end to ground with a voltmeter in DCV position, or test light, or what?"

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I missed any answer to this, which would be important to your current pursuit:

"How about the adjacent fuses, do they also have voltage? Specifically, how are you testing for voltage at the fuse? Each end to ground with a voltmeter in DCV position, or test light, or what?"
I am going to check out the other fuses and I checked the fuse with a voltmeter. I am still trying to find the other flasher. Also a while back I had a 81 lebaron that if you put the tilt wheel in the uppermost position the car would not start.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
OK, I was trying to make sure that you didn't make the easy and understandable mistake of measuring across the fuse and looking for 12 volts. A good fuse, whether powered or not, will measure zero volts across its terminals. You have to measure from the hot side to ground. It's an easy mistake to make, not trying to insult your intelligence.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I re checked the power going to the fuse and it was there, must not have had it the right way, also checked power to the fan relay and it is there. I also replaced the flasher and nothing, so right now I am thinking either the turn signal switch or the ignition switch. I really don't want to replace the turn signal switch because that is a animal.

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
You can check the turn signal switch at the connector at the bottom of the column to confirm if it's good or bad. I just don't have a 1982 service manual to tel you which wires to test.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My bigger concern is the electric fan coming on to cool the engine, this stupid car does not have gauges but 1 idiot light for the engine.So if you have a problem how do you know what is wrong ?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts