Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm embarrassed to admit I can't find the voltage regulator on my 84 LeBaron 2.2 Turbo.

I had a bad battery drain and had the charging system checked. They told me the battery was in fact bad (or had become bad since I last had it checked a couple of months ago) and that the diodes were fine but the voltage regulator was no good.

The battery was completely free under warranty, but the AZ guy and I couldn't find the voltage regulator on the car.

The DSM says it's a separate rectangular unit bolted on the passenger firewall. Nope, can't find it anywhere I know some alternators have internal voltage regulators (in fact, every alternator I've ever changed did), but that should not be the case on this model, according to the service manual.

The alternator is a Bosch with both Bosch and Chrysler labels on it.

Just in case the charging system was changed at some point in the past to an alternator with a regulator, I looked at pictures of the various internal regulators on Rock Auto and they don't look like anything protruding from the alternator on the car.

Any advice?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I'm pretty sure that a 1984 with MPI (i.e. Turbo setup) had the regulator inside the power module.

Additional: How many wires hook up to the back of your alternator? If it has the FLD connection you have an externally regulated alternator and per my first assumption, it is probably in the Power Module. I only ask this question because there were a few rare instances (so I have been told) that Chrysler used internally regulated alternators, but I believe that was only on the imports which would not be applicable in your case.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
The voltage regulator is mounted on the back of the alternator. It's a TO-3 case.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
The voltage regulator is mounted on the back of the alternator. It's a TO-3 case.
Correct! It took me a few minutes to find it. The part # is 5226313 and you see it in this picture at this link (it bolts right on the back of the unit):

http://www.apartsdepot.com/detail.cfm?part=1954213

Note: there is 1 left at Rock Auto on a mfg closeout for $6. Otherwise you are looking at $50 -$75 (almost the complete cost of the alternator!)

Do a part# search and you should find it. It is Airtex brand (part# 1V1048) and I can't speak for the quality.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Rockauto should have Bosch alternators.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
Rockauto should have Bosch alternators.
The regulator with brushes is available as seperate part, and Rock Auto has 1 left (manufacturer closeout) for $6 plus shipping. I hope the OP grabs it, but if not you might want to. I doubt that kind of deal will ever come up again. I see the regulator kit on E-Bay for over $50. (Airtex 1V1048).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. I just bought it.

I did see that on the RockAuto parts list when I looked, but it had the words "with internal regulator" on it, so I thought it must not apply to my model.

In any case, a lot easier and cheaper than a whole alternator.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Good deal and I hope it works out for you. I guess in the industry the terminology is if the regulator mounts on, or is inside the alternator it is called "internally regulated". All others mounted away from the alternator,whether a seperate unit or inside the computer, are called "externally regulated" and there will be seperate field terminal connections on the back of the alternator.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I haven't gone and had the charging system checked yet, but the installation seems to have worked better than expected. Voltmeter gauge on dash stays constant and-- although this may be my imagination-- the little nagging things, like some voice alerts working and then not working, or other gauges fluctuating, seem to have disappeared.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Glad to hear it. The electronics can be very sensitive to voltage drops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts