Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have a 1984 dodge rampage 2.2 automatic. Last year it just died and won’t start now. It’s getting spark and fuel. It turns over sounds like it wants to fire but won’t. I was told it was not timing either. A shop looked at it and said they think it could be electrical but it it was nothing he could handle there. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
38,296 Posts
Is the spark bright? Have you pulled spark plugs to look at them? Are they damp or dry? Has the timing belt jumped a tooth or two? If spark and fuel are present and good, the either timing is bad or the engine can’t pump air through (like a blocked exhaust).

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,020 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. 3 things needed to run: spark, fuel and mechanical (good compression/timing).

Do you have a nice blue/white spark out of a plug (not coil) wire? An orange spark may not fire the plugs.
How do the tips fo the plugs look? Are they wet with gas or black with carbon?

Is the choke closed, but free to open with spring tension? Do you see fuel in down in the venturi when you manually operate the throttle? The accelerator pump should squirt fuel as you open the throttle. Don't try to start the engine while looking down the carb in case it backfires.

The timing marks flywheel, cam sprocket and distributor rotor tip should all line up at #1 cylinder TDC:

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Even though it's getting spark, I'd recommend a new distributor cap, rotor button and hall effect switch. And make sure the plug wires are fully seated in the cap. They lock in with the clips on the distributor end of the wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to Allpar. 3 things needed to run: spark, fuel and mechanical (good compression/timing).

Do you have a nice blue/white spark out of a plug (not coil) wire? An orange spark may not fire the plugs.
How do the tips fo the plugs look? Are they wet with gas or black with carbon?

Is the choke closed, but free to open with spring tension? Do you see fuel in down in the venturi when you manually operate the throttle? The accelerator pump should squirt fuel as you open the throttle. Don't try to start the engine while looking down the carb in case it backfires.

The timing marks flywheel, cam sprocket and distributor rotor tip should all line up at #1 cylinder TDC:

I tested spark with a tester, it was a yellow spark. I attempted to check for TDC it appeared to be. I also did a compression test. Each cylinder only had about 2-8psi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!
I have a 1984 dodge rampage 2.2 automatic. Last year it just died and won’t start now. It’s getting spark and fuel. It turns over sounds like it wants to fire but won’t. I was told it was not timing either. A shop looked at it and said they think it could be electrical but it it was nothing he could handle there. Anyone have any ideas?
I tested the spark with a spark tester. It was orange. I did a compression test showed only 2-8psi in each cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
38,296 Posts
If compression is that low everywhere, the timing belt is what I'd suspect.

Reactions: gjblake

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
Orange spark indicates a weak coil. That spark should be a blue/white color. Pull that coil wire and check for corrosion. If you don't find any, replace the coil and make sure the ground for it is good, clean and tight. Did you check for a broken timing belt, like Mark indicated as a possibility? Did you do a wet and dry compression test? If you've only got 2-8 psi on each cylinder, either the valves are stuck open or the rings are stuck on the pistons. I'd get each piston about half way up and fill the cylinders with a combination of transmission fluid and a good penetrating oil and give it a 24 hour soak. Then I'd put rags over each spark plug hole and crank the engine for about 30 seconds. Then I'd do another compression test. If the rings are stuck to the piston, the soak may free them up and your compression SHOULD come up. If it doesn't then you'll need to pull the head and check your valves. I'm going on a 2 invasive brain surgery and foggy memory here, so don't do any of this if you or anyone else disagrees with me. I'm NOT a mechanic and have never worked as one. I've just been maintaining and working on my own cars for almost 50 years now. FIRST THING TO CHECK IS THE TIMING BELT!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts