Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Even though it's getting spark, I'd recommend a new distributor cap, rotor button and hall effect switch. And make sure the plug wires are fully seated in the cap. They lock in with the clips on the distributor end of the wire.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Orange spark indicates a weak coil. That spark should be a blue/white color. Pull that coil wire and check for corrosion. If you don't find any, replace the coil and make sure the ground for it is good, clean and tight. Did you check for a broken timing belt, like Mark indicated as a possibility? Did you do a wet and dry compression test? If you've only got 2-8 psi on each cylinder, either the valves are stuck open or the rings are stuck on the pistons. I'd get each piston about half way up and fill the cylinders with a combination of transmission fluid and a good penetrating oil and give it a 24 hour soak. Then I'd put rags over each spark plug hole and crank the engine for about 30 seconds. Then I'd do another compression test. If the rings are stuck to the piston, the soak may free them up and your compression SHOULD come up. If it doesn't then you'll need to pull the head and check your valves. I'm going on a 2 invasive brain surgery and foggy memory here, so don't do any of this if you or anyone else disagrees with me. I'm NOT a mechanic and have never worked as one. I've just been maintaining and working on my own cars for almost 50 years now. FIRST THING TO CHECK IS THE TIMING BELT!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.