Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and my daughter are restoring an 84 Turismo 2.2 and have reached an irritating problem. We have the car up and running most of the time but it will simply quit while crusing down the road. Once it quits it won't start again and usually will not even turn over. The battery measures 12.21 volts at this point but we always put it on the trickle charger while going through everything that we can think of. The alternator has been taken out multiple times and tested at multiple shops and passed muster every times. The voltage regulator was good but we replaced it anyway. When running, the charging indicator reads at mid position, which is right where it should be. Each time we put it back together it will start right up, run for a few days and then quit again. We have been battling this for almost 6 months. I'm the patient type but this is getting to me. We are obviously not looking at the right part of the system. What kinds of tests should we be performing in order to nail this problem down?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. 12.2 volts seems low and charging systems can be intermittent. Have the battery terminals been removed and cleaned? Is the negative battery terminal cable ends securely grounded to both the engine and body?
If you have ruled out alternator and regulator, the wiring harness and connectors may be suspect. With the headlamps on and the car at idle, wiggle and move connectors while watching the battery voltage on a meter. If the alternator whine changes or the lights flare and dim, you may have found an 'intermittent' connection. You can also drive with a voltmeter connected to a fuse or lighter socket source for an occasional glance.
Does the ammeter needle move at all? Some of these had bad connections in the dash where they would stay in the middle all the time and not alert you to an under or over charging problem. It should swing + or - at times (like when starting up).

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
What is the voltage when idling, and after having sat overnight? Probably this is a bad battery, and the alternator can't keep it propped up. After you fully charge the battery, measure its voltage (should be at least 12.6 to 12.8V), and then run a load test on it. A shop can do it, or you can put the headlights on and it should still be above 12.0V after 2 hours.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Charge could be the problem as it is not much above what the battery alone would be. Still, bad battery is more likely to stall at stops than at speed, makes me think the alternator is the problem if it's a electrical issue. Most cars should be closer to 14v when running if the alternator is good. I wouldn't consider less than 13v acceptable. I ran a chevy 2.5 with completely dead battery for several months using a jump pack to start and just keeping RPM up when I was stopped....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts