Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with an '86 LeBaron K-Car cvt. The electronic dash is dead. I remember years ago, I drove my cousin's similar car out West for her and the dash died on the trip. My savior was the DTE still worked so at least I never ran out of gas. She had it repaired by the dealer, but it was a fairly new car back then.

Anyone restore these or solution for them?

Thanks Much

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
A forum search may show past topics for this. Bad connections and fractured solder joints were common. The circuit board-mounted voltage regulator could burn and leaky electrolytic capacitors could fail early.

·
Registered
682 Posts
No fix available in the dash AFAIK, but if you can remove it from the dash and get it (facedown onto e.g. a towel or clean shop rag),
inspection may reveal the culprit. Look for the scorched / leaked components mentioned above. If you don't see those, a gentle but
thorough cleaning and a little further inspection may show a failed solder joint, or (more likely with age) several such. Many threads
here have described the solder reflow procedures in detail. The good news is that if you don't see a leaky / scorched component, the
fix may be pretty cheap; if you do ... some of those parts are unobtainium, nowadays.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts