Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, helping my friend here with his 87 2.5l throttle body automatic lebaron. Its suddenly devloped a bad loss of power, hesitation and sometimes stalling issue. Only code is a 26, injector issue, wireing to injector was ruff so I replaced the wire, and rebuilt the TB with a new injector, no difference! Poped in a new good computer, no difference! Hooked up my computer to it and its mostly reading "lean", I put in another fuel pressure regulator and now its flicks to rich and lean but stays on lean longer and it ran well for the rest of the day! Next day it hardly would stay running and hardly moved with out stalling. I'm going to check the fuel pressure next, anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks;
Chad

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Hi, helping my friend here with his 87 2.5l throttle body automatic lebaron. Its suddenly devloped a bad loss of power, hesitation and sometimes stalling issue. Only code is a 26, injector issue, wireing to injector was ruff so I replaced the wire, and rebuilt the TB with a new injector, no difference! Poped in a new good computer, no difference! Hooked up my computer to it and its mostly reading "lean", I put in another fuel pressure regulator and now its flicks to rich and lean but stays on lean longer and it ran well for the rest of the day! Next day it hardly would stay running and hardly moved with out stalling. I'm going to check the fuel pressure next, anyone have any other ideas??

Thanks;
Chad
The usual problem is a corroded connector right at the throttle body. Try removing the square retaining clip and pull the connector off. Look inside and inspect for any green corrosion. Clean with contact/tuner cleaner and cycle the connector plug in and out of the fixed TB connector several times to sweep the contacts. Reconnect and try to start it. If it is not there, you got a wiring problem somewhere else; possible on one of the pins at the computer. A code 26 on that model is a high resistance or an open connection to the injector. Chrysler use to sell a replacement plug with a pigtail that you had to cut/solder on the wiring harness for the TB connector. I doubt it is available any more unless NAPA has it. Just try cleaning the connector first to see if it will start.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
The terminals at the injector and PCM side connectors can get spread after years of use. Sometimes with a small pick tool you can gently bend the contact fingers inward to make a secure connection metal-to-metal contact again. This will reduce resistance to an acceptable level for the PCM and eliminate the repeated fault code.
Aftermarket fuel injectors may have a different resistance in ohms. It should be compared to the original and meet the factory spec in the service manual or you may have introduced another problem that generates the same code.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well bought a new connector at NAPA, no change execpt now a code 52 :frusty:

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Check the braided ground strap from firewall to intake manifold; ground lug ring at driver's side rear corner of the block; and ground from battery to left fenderwell. If any of these has deteriorated or broken, it can give these symptoms.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Well bought a new connector at NAPA, no change execpt now a code 52 :frusty:
So the code 26 is still there even after you erased the codes?
I agee with Bob. Make sure all the ground wires are solidly connected. That can cause false codes and a poor running vehicle.

Use the minimopar.net resource page to locate the pin-outs on the power module for the injector circuit. Clean the pin for the fuel injector circuit. Here is a direct link.

http://minimopar.kni...m-1985-tbi.html

Also, assuming all tune up parts are good, the symptoms also match the description for a slipped timing belt. How old is the belt? I've removed the top timing cover on some of these old cars only to find that the timing belt literally in threads (and slipped). This year car also used the square tooth timing belt which is more prone to slippage than the newer round tooth belts.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, Thanks for all the replys! New T belt and tuneup this late spring, when it runs good it runs great, im pretty sure the belts ok. Going to check the grounds in the next day or so, hope I find the problem!

Thanks;
Chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts