Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know the amount Mr. Shelby had milled off the heads he used on the 1987 (87-89) Shelby 2.2 T2's? I remember reading that it was .080" but I want to confirm this with something solid.

Also, any other know or verifiable modification done by Mr. Shelby on these 2.2 T2's is welcome.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I haven't heard that one about the heads. If you are talking 87-88 Shelby Z Daytonas and 89 Daytona Shelbys they were built on the same assembly line as the regular Daytonas in St Louis Missouri so I can't see them really being special parts wise. The 86 GLHS, 87 GLHS, CSX, Lancer, 88 CSX-T, and 89 CSX were the cars modified by Shelby at the Whittier CA plant. Those were the cars that had the cylinder heads, intake/exhaust manifolds, turbos, computers and wiring changed. 87 Shelby Z motor was the better motor over the numbered cars since it had a forged bottom end were as the others were just a standard 87 Turbo I bottom end and had the 2 piece intake manifold, which was changed in 88 to the one piece.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1991spirites:
- you may have something there, it may have been the CSX, I had read about. In the event that is the engine I was reading about, does anyone know how much the mill from Shelby was on the 2.2 from the CSX?

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
Does anyone know the amount Mr. Shelby had milled off the heads he used on the 1987 (87-89) Shelby 2.2 T2's? I remember reading that it was .080" but I want to confirm this with something solid.
None. Shelby never milled anything off the heads or blocks of the turbocharged cars. He did mill the blocks of the some carbureted Shelbys by .030"

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where I do not aspire to be overtly contradictory, I did find the information I was referring to. It alledges that 0.8 mm were milled from the top decks of the Shelby engines. Top deck, presumably, referring to the top of the block and 0.8 mm being a mere 0.0314", is much less severe than I remember.

I appreciate the response and interest. I am still interested in any facts or information regarding the processes and level of prep Shebly did to them.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
Not to sound defensive but do you have a link to your source? Are you talking about Shelby modifications or perhaps a mopar performance part? Are we talking about production items or non production items?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bamman:

- I will post the link and tell you in advance that I am not taking this as fact...yet. As a matter of fact, the reason I asked about this is to dispell the non-truths, so that my project gets done right, once and the first time.

- I am on the road right now so I will dig it up when I get home. I appreciate the interest.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The only thing I could find is that Shelby milled the blocks on the 2.2 carb HO motor.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1991spirites: I finally found the document I was referencing, it was on ALLPAR but appears I misunderstood and that you are correct, the statement reads ".8 mm milled from the heads of the Shelby's" is referring to the H.O. carb version. Thank you for the clarification.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts