Allpar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve been having some steering issues for the last little while. I finally took my car in for an inspection, and they told me I new new control arms, ball joints, and one inner and outer tie rod. The steering rack itself is fine.

I can`t afford to pay labour costs, so I`m going to tackle this myself. I`ll replace all the inner and outer tie rods while I`m at it. It sems like a relatively staright-forward job. I`m wondering how much time this should take, and if there are any tips or advice you can share before I start.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Plan on at least three days if you've never done suspension work before. In theory, this is all very straightforward-- but that's assuming that nothing is corroded and you have all of the proper tools... I would recommend hitting the balljoints if you already have to take the control arms out. The tie rod ends will probably be frozen in place and may be nearly impossible to remove. There were two types of inner tie rods used on these cars. I can't remember the exact specifics on them but they can be tricky from what I've heard. There's help to be found here:
http://www.allpar.com/eek/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts