Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved to Florida from Nevada.My 88 Shelbyz upon acceleration is now stumbling badly.Pulled the codes it a code 36 is coming up.My factory manual does not give a code 36.Now what?I checked the wastegate rod,its connected and changed the wastegate solenoid.I,m stumped.It,s my only transportation to get the wife to her doctors and needless to say I,m worried.
Can anyone tell me what this could be.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Code 36 Wastegate or other solenoid open or shorted
If the wastegate is connected, and the new solenoid is good, then the next thing to suspect is that the wiring to the solenoid is open or shorted somewhere. Look closely at the wiring on the back side of the valve cover, that often gets brittle and burned, and there may be short circuits there.

BTW, thanks again for selling me the 84 FSM several years ago. It's been very helpful with my car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob and glad they came in handy.
I cleared the code and had a 13 come up now.Replaced the map and sensor,have all kinds of spare parts,but it still stumbles on acceleration.Just before we left las vegas the fuel pump died and had it replaced with anew one and float assembly.It ran great until we trailered it to Florida.That was when we ran into some real heavy rain for three days.Got it off the trailer and went to the store and right away we had this problem.I checked everything today and can find no problem anywhere.I did notice a break in the fuel injector harness wire cover on one injector.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Code 13 will occur if the car stalls or almost stalls, and the computer senses very low vacuum just before it stalls, or almost stalls. So that's a red herring. The fuel injector harness could be an issue.

·
King
3,488 Posts
I had the same problem with a bad fuel injection wire harness.
Also run some fuel injection cleaner through your fuel system.
you could have some water mixed in your fuel.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I,ll check the fuel harness today since I have a spare.The idle speed also drops after start up to around 500 rpm,s then picks up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Unplug the injector harness from the injector and look at the connector. They sometimes get a green substance on them that will cause the car the misfire, sometimes a intermittent misfire.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it seems I,m stumped.I replaced the fuel harness with a spare I had.Okay. I start it up and it will idle fine,as soon as I put it in gear and start moving the idle drops so low it stalls out and is a pain to get it started again.It turns over but won,t fire up right away.When it does start I have to race it after the idle smooths out to just get back in the driveway again.I can hear the fuel pump when I first turn the ignition,it has fuel at the rail.Sitting in the yard with it running it seems fine until I put it in gear and thats when the problem pops right up.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
At this point I'd suspect a vacuum leak. Check all hoses and tubing, and the throttle body. Spray a little carb cleaner on the gaskets of the TB when the engine is cold so as not to ignite it, and if the idle changes, that's where the leak is.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
If you have a fuel pressure gauge and a schrader valve, I'd check the pressure on the fuel pump, if it were me. It's been years since I had my 84 Laser Turbo. I don't recall if there's a fuel pressure regulator on these cars or not. If so, maybe it's going bad?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
All EFI cars have fuel pressure regulators. For 1984 turbo, it's vacuum-controlled.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,now it won,t start at all.It catches for a second and then dies out. I had not thoughtnit would be the pump as I had one put in just before we left Vegas.I got to wondering and hooked up my fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and got a surprise.All I could get on the gauge is 40 lbs and it dropped to around 35 or so when I gave it a little throttle. I did replace the fuel pressure unit on the rail about a year ago as it went south and let fuel in the vaccum line.I tried the dealers for a new pump and was told they are no longer available anywhere.I did find at NAPA a pump for an 89 Shelby but no high pressure one for an 88 Shelby.The one the can get in has a 99psi to110 psi .Does this sound right to anyone.Hope so as no one else can get what I need.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you are talking fuel pumps, 88 Shelby and 89 Shelby should be the same fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
And they are 55 psi.

Fuel pressure regulator is not doing its job. Pinch the vacuum hose to it with a small pair of locking pliers and try to start/run, see what the pressure is. Make sure there is no vacuum leak to it, and that hoses are in good shape and connected.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay Bob.
I did what you suggested. No vacuum leak and hoses are okay.The pressure gets to 38 to 40 psi and holds. Fuel pressure regulator?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I'd check the manual to be sure. I know later years were 55 psi; TBI was 39 psi, I think. But if not in spec, then I'd change the regulator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts