Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I used the van today and then it just quit. Wouldn't turn over. Just one single click sound. I thought it was just loose battery connection. I tightened it up still nothing. So i checked the grounds. (On firewall, starter etc) those were tight. I gave up because it was a bit to cold out so someone boosted me. It worked. I got home and turned it off. A not even four minutes later, i had to go pick up a friend but it wouldn't start again. So now i am thinking it is the starter solinoid, ECM or something like that.

What steps should i try?

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
If it started with a boost, the battery or connections may be bad. Don't just tighten the battery terminals, take them right off the posts and wire brush them inside and out. Sometimes a hard scale build-up at the contact area will require scraping with a blade.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just recleaned the connections from the starter, ground wires, battery cables and terminals on the battery and it starts now but i am going to keep an eye on it if it might do it again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it did it again today. I went to get a few bus fuses to replace since i noticed a few were burnt out. So i got the right amps for the locations in the fuse block and it didn't start again. Now it has to be some connection issue. I can't see the wire where it goes to the block. The starter connections are tight and cleened already.

I also cleened off the connections to the starter relay on the firewall. No go. Still one single click but doesn't turn over. Had to get boosted again from a tow truck. Fired right up.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
I would have the battery, starter and charging system tested at a local auto parts store. It is a free service that many offer if they can free up a guy. Batteries can be intermittent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it died again today, i had to whack the starter. That worked so maybe a flat spot in the starter. But yeah, i know batteries can be intermitent.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Could also be a combination of a weak starter and a weak battery.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I expect this one to come down to the starter. When the battery gets weak it can cause excessive arching it the starter solenoid. There's the old "flip the washer" trick that can sometimes last quit awhile.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have called a few starter repair places and they told me to take a look at plunger and the contacts might be worn and needing replacement. What is the flip washer trick?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
There's a copper washer on the plunger that contacts the head of the angled copper bolt. After it burns too thin it becomes more difficult to get a good connection. Sometimes turning the washer over will get you a few more miles down the road (or to work...).

This trick doesn't apply to the newer lightweight starter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.. I haven't started the van in months since i didn't need it for awhile. I figured i should give it a start. Nothing happend. I located my battery post brush and gave them a good scuffing. I charged the battery just in case it didn't have enough juice to be sure... I tightend them down and gave it a try... It fired right up.

Drove it for a bit and today i used it and not a problem. So now i am thinking just a simple connection issue. Works for me :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts