Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,994 Posts
Other than the faint grinding noise, it feels like it is in Neutral? I suspect that something mechanical has let loose, but something is still turning inside for the noise to happen.
If the vehicle can be safely chocked with the parking brake on, see if you can locate the approximate source of the grinding. That will probably be the point of the drivetrain disconnect.
ATF line pressures can be measured with a gauge to see what elements are receiving pressure. Does the transfer case range make any difference? Maybe drop the transmission pan for a look?

·
Super Moderator
22,994 Posts
A kickdown band problem wouldn't keep it from engaging into low or reverse. I'd drop the pan for a look.

·
Super Moderator
22,994 Posts
A metallic sheen is from wear. It may or may not be fatal. How old is the fluid?
A pressure test would determine if the pump can meet pressure demands. A large internal leak would also keep the pressure from reaching spec.
It still may be worth some more diagnosis before possibly having to pull it out.

·
Super Moderator
22,994 Posts
I don't have an '89 truck service manual for O/D diagnosis, but is there an O/D off switch on the shift lever or on the dash? Is there an O/D off light that comes on at start up? Was O/D working before the bang?
The filter plugging may have been gradual and not sudden, things just came to a head all at once.
I'm glad to hear that you have some transmission operation restored. It may be OK.
This may be too early for the fully-electronic O/D in the 42RE and is a hydraulic O/D, like in the 42RH.
A diagnostic procedure in a service manual would help here. It just stays in 3rd gear?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts