Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine picked up an 80,000 mile '89 Ramcharger 4x4 a few days ago, it had been a city vehicle, and on closer inspection I think that it was their radio tower maintenance truck. It has racks for at least three radios and a later-added support to hold a laptop or screen of some kind. Really cool truck.

Anyway, he brought it by to show me and we had a helluva time getting it out of 4H back to 2H. There is also a mild growl and his fuel economy isn't what he expected from a TBI 360, so I'm thinking that the transfer case might need at least some service.

I did some looking and I think that it's an NP241. Does this seem correct? The truck is an automatic.

If anyone knows direct-interchange info, in case the transfer case is worse off than we think it'd be appreciated.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. He's getting twelve mpg now, he'd like to get it up towards fifteen, but I think that's going to be quite the challenge given the weight and shape.

I've suggested that he change all fluids, axles, differential, transmission, etc, in addition to engine oil that he's already planning on.

It felt weak to me when I drove it, but admittedly I'm used to Magnum multiport 360s, not TBI, but I drive a one-ton maxivan at work with a whole lot of crap in it, so I did expect a little more performance for this truck than it delivered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.