Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 Grand Voyager-- 3.0 liter --Auto tran.-- 250,000 plus miles but with different tran (third) ,engine and SMEC 'computer'.

PROBLEM: Engine dies if the AC is turned on doing idle or when pulling into a parking space and turning hard left/right, low speed.

The compression for all cyl. was at 120 psi.
Doing timing check , it was erratic by about 5 degress.
No error codes.

2 years ago the car quit and did not needed it, so it was parked. The van was needed by my son, finaly finding a job in Los Angeles Cal., troubleshoot and found the fuel pump and filter bad. The trip to LA from Idaho went with no problems ,1200 miles and had about 22mpg.

I do hope it will pass the Ca. smog tests after replaceing the cat. , it is gutted.

Thanks for reading and helping me out.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Maybe the air control valve? Usually anywhere from fifty to sixty bucks or so. I THINK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chuzz said:
Maybe the air control valve? Usually anywhere from fifty to sixty bucks or so. I THINK.
Not sure what the air control valve is ? I am thinking it is part of the AC system , if so , I need to clearify problem. If one makes a sharp turn into a parking space with the AC off, it will kill the engine. Not saying it could still not be a problem, will look into it. Thanks.

Basicaly it would seem, if the van is at idle and any load is put onto engine, the RPM will start to decrease till the engine dies. My guess what ever unit(s) are responsible for the idle speed is not working.

·
Super Moderator
37,519 Posts
Usually the timing will jump around unless the coolant temp sensor is unplugged.
I think it's the idle air control valve Chuzz is mentioning. It should be part of the throttle body and it could be bad (or simply gummed up) and not doing its part to bump up idle speed to compensate for the AC load,

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
Yep, that's what I meant, Mark. Thanks for adding the word I left out! It was getting late and I'd been working on plumbing problems for most of the day. What a royal pain. Anyway, Farmer, that's what I was referring to. Sorry about the confusion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, will have my son give it a try. My manual just calls it AIS (automatic idle speed motor), so I was a little confused but all OK now.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The power steering pump overloads the engine at slow idle when turned max either way, this often happens to my "88 3.0 even though my fast idle works fine. It isn't good to turn the wheel to the stops anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts