Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit stumped with replacing window regulator tape on my GCV, even though I've done it before.

Four years ago when I replaced the broken window regulator tape in my 1990 Grand Caravan, (driver side) I managed to snap the tape somehow and had to buy another. I got it right the second time, but I don't remember what I did to break it in the first place or how I solved that. Vague memory offers some connection with trouble I had feeding the tape through the drive mechanism, and that maybe I used the motor to attempt to move the tape. I'm thinking that the motor pulled faster than I could align the loose tape on the rail, which just broke the tape. I can't remember which end of the rail I used to install the new tape. I'm nearly certain I did not remove the motor for the installation.

So this time, I'm feeding the tape down the rail from the window end, not the free end. To do so I've removed the bolt which holds the rail just below the bottom of the window opening. Once again, it reaches the drive motor and seems blocked. I must be missing something, don't see what it takes to move the tape through the motor. Does anyone know what I'm missing on this?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jglen. I thought there should be a "repair section" on Allpar, but I didn't succeed in finding it. I've only recently joined and hadn't found my way around. Starting from the link you sent, I was able to figure out how to get there next time, as I'm sure there will be a "next time". In fact, I've got another minivan in line for a different repair this evening, and the factory manual isn't much help.

Anyway, this was a very useful tutorial on how to replace the tape. I see that I do indeed use the motor to pull the tape through. I'm just concerned that the tape will snag on the top of the rail. I guess I'll just tap the switch so it only goes a short way.

I appreciate your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts