Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a new problem with Sundance...I was attempting to start the car, while rotating the key from "run" to "start", for a split second the engine cranked, then the key continued to rotate, the engine stopped cranking and the key was stuck in a position past the "start" position. I attempted and failed several times to get the key back to the "start" or "run" positions. Finally I was able to Gorilla it back; upon freeing the key and returning it to the off and attempting to start the engine again, it simply rotates through run, start and further past start but the engine doesn't crank, even for an instant.

I have a replacement steering colume with the key lock and all components. I hope that I can replace the key cylinder and correct the fault. Has anyone ever experienced this problem and might I be on the correct path to solving this isue?

·
Registered
733 Posts
mine does that once in a while. It gets stuck. I just move the steering wheel back and forth to unlock it. I would assume forcing it would break something.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The cylinders are pot metal, and can break easily if forced. You're going to need a "security" torx to get at the cylinder.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neon98rt: it sounds as though you may think I ment that the steering wheel is locking, what I ment to convey is that the key was stuck in a possition past the "start" position.

B10alia: yes I found that I will require a number 15 security torx drive to remove and install the failed key lock cylinder. I am aquiring the driver now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is one more small thing...I have misplaced the manual for the Sundance and I am uncertain whether I need to remove the airbag and/or steering wheel prior to the key lock cylinder?

·
Registered
181 Posts
There is one more small thing...I have misplaced the manual for the Sundance and I am uncertain whether I need to remove the airbag and/or steering wheel prior to the key lock cylinder?
I didn't need to on my 90 LeBaron convertible. Not sure how similar it is to P-bodies. Note that if you have a chrome ignition, a dealer will try to sell you a chrome replacement. You probably don't want to spend extra cash on that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the doner "key lock cylinder" (KLC) installed and working.

I did have a couple of things wrong though, here they are:
1) my car is a 1990 Plymouth Sundance, the KLC has 2, size 20 security torx fasteners holding the upper portion in and 1 size 15 security torx fastener securing the lower portion.
2) the 1992 Plymouth Sundance that I procured the doner steering colume from has some differences (the wrecking yard even went as far as to inform me that the 2 colums were not interchangible in their guidance). My intentions were only to use the KLC, so I will focus on those specific differences...it had the same 2 upper fasteners but the lower was also a size 20 security torx type (STT), verses a size 15

1) my car is a 1990 Plymouth Sundance, the KLC has 2, size 20 security torx fasteners holding the upper portion in and 1 size 15 security torx fastener securing the lower portion.
2) the 1992 Plymouth Sundance that I procured the doner steering colume from has some differences (the wrecking yard even went as far as to inform me that the 2 colums were not interchangible in their guidance). My intentions were only to use the KLC, so I will focus on those specific differences...it had the same 2 upper fasteners but the lower was also a size 20 security torx type (STT), verses a size 15

2) the 1992 Plymouth Sundance that I procured the doner steering colume from has some differences (the wrecking yard even went as far as to inform me that the 2 colums were not interchangible in their guidance). My intentions were only to use the KLC, so I will focus on those specific differences...it had the same 2 upper fasteners but the lower was also a size 20 security torx type (STT), verses a size 15 STT.
3) one other difference worth mentioning is that bottom of the KLC (the 1/8" plastic piece which is sandwiched between the steering colume mounting surface and the base of the KLC) is as slightly different mold...but plugs right jin as though there were no differences, a perfect fit.

Torqued everything down and it fired up first try like nothing was ever wrong!

Thank you to everyone who helped, prayed or made suggestions; I needed all of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts