Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
My thoughts as well. After 26 years, connector pins aren't so grippy anymore, particularly the kind Chrysler used back then on the A604 input and output speed sensors.
Soooo guess it couldn't hurt to pull and clean the connectors?

·
Registered
66 Posts
If this is the original A 604 from 1991 and it is determined that the trans needs work, most trans shops will switch it out for a reman 41TE and not want to spend the money putting in all of the upgrades into this transmission.
Can confirm this. The local dealer scanned my 91 Dynasty/A604 and said they wouldn't even think about repairing it. Quoted me $1,400 for a reman installed. That was a couple years ago. Been running just fine with the upgraded TCM until last month. Now it just sits, mocking me with it's shiny paint job.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Soooo guess it couldn't hurt to pull and clean the connectors?
It may help. Those are the two connectors likely to cause limp mode issues if any of the wiring near the battery were jostled immediately before experiencing issues. I'd also grab a 1" deep socket, pull the output speed sensor (the one nearest the fender), and clean it off as well.

The solenoid pack connectors usually hold up, but they could also cause this. Not as likely though, as they bolt into place. Same with the TCM connector.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It may help. Those are the two connectors likely to cause limp mode issues if any of the wiring near the battery were jostled immediately before experiencing issues. I'd also grab a 1" deep socket, pull the output speed sensor (the one nearest the fender), and clean it off as well.

The solenoid pack connectors usually hold up, but they could also cause this. Not as likely though, as they bolt into place. Same with the TCM connector.
Thanks for the input. I'll do that for sure!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
allann.jpg
So an update:

I replaced the TCM with an updated version, and the transmission performed worse. As in, it would go into all gears, but when going to upshift from 1st to 2nd, it would go into neutral and rev...which obviously alarmed me. But with a cycle of the key, I could reset it and it finally upshifted, but poorly. I also noticed the fluid level reading way above the full mark, when I know for a fact I did not overfill it during the last filter change...

So, as a last resort, I drained the fluid from the pan, then added a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix, per the advice from a former Chrysler mechanic who worked during the late 80s/early 90s, and topped it off properly with ATF+4, while running in neutral to be sure I didn't overfill it. Took it for a drive, and the first upshift was rough...and then...

Fine! It's been shifting fine since. The TCM did its few cycles to learn and the shifting smoothed out and now it upshifts and downshifts as it should. I have decided that this transmission is probably worn, as it does have high miles, and the internal seals are probably leaking, causing a lack of fluid pressure, which gave me a lack of upshifting sometimes, but now can still perform with the Lucas additive, since its thicker and is made to seal internal leaks and eliminate slipping. I don't expect it to go forever, but it appears to be a fix for now, and is doing its job again.

Thanks again for the all the help and advice! In a couple days I'll let you guys know how its doing!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Nice car! Beautiful for its age.

Yep, the fact that the rough shift disappeared after the introduction of Lucas indicates the seals had hardened and there were internal leaks. Just keep in mind that you've meerly bought time. Lucas didn't really fix the problem.

Glad it works for you now.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
I don't expect it to go forever, but it appears to be a fix for now, and is doing its job again.
Lucas helped put several years on my 1992 Imperial's original transmission before I ended up replacing it. The only reason I replaced it was because first I got a great deal on a 1991 Fifth with a rebuilt tranny with a known history and I had damaged the torque converter from accidentally overfilling. Between you and me, the original transmission probably could have lasted up until I sold the car had I not overfilled that day.

It was getting lazy with reverse once in a while, and would bump shift at stop signs, but Lucas and an updated TCM improved that transmission quite a bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Lucas helped put several years on my 1992 Imperial's original transmission before I ended up replacing it. The only reason I replaced it was because first I got a great deal on a 1991 Fifth with a rebuilt tranny with a known history and I had damaged the torque converter from accidentally overfilling. Between you and me, the original transmission probably could have lasted up until I sold the car had I not overfilled that day.

It was getting lazy with reverse once in a while, and would bump shift at stop signs, but Lucas and an updated TCM improved that transmission quite a bit.
Indeed, it still shifts a little rough here and there but nothing horrible like before. As long as it'll do its job for a few months, I'm happy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I've gotta find a '90-'91 with the updated TCM...

Sidenote: Today I drove to work and the car had reset itself it seems, as I did not disconnect the battery this time, just parked it last night..and today it shifted just fine other than occasional kinda rough 1-2 upshift, but not consistent, other times it shifted 1-2 smoothly..and drove to work just fine, not going into limp mode at all. So I'm very confused...perhaps an updated TCM will solve this new issue?
My 92 Grand Caravan LE (long gone after 399, 992 miles and 6 yrs ago) had that same problem, locking up in 2nd gear at 147K. I had the dealer change the fluid and filter, had it checked at two other reliable trans shops, of which no one could find anything wrong, and drove it to NC from Michigan and back. Ran flawlessly. The problem resurfaced when the ambient temperature dipped down to about 25 degrees in November. Had a Chrysler re-man installed, and the dealer urged me to get a new controller, which I did, (along with the rear main seal), and it lasted to 265K. The new controller made the shifts noticeably smoother. You may be on borrowed time, but the controller couldn't hurt, assuming you have the original on the car. (My minivan's controller was mounted on the firewall.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My 92 Grand Caravan LE (long gone after 399, 992 miles and 6 yrs ago) had that same problem, locking up in 2nd gear at 147K. I had the dealer change the fluid and filter, had it checked at two other reliable trans shops, of which no one could find anything wrong, and drove it to NC from Michigan and back. Ran flawlessly. The problem resurfaced when the ambient temperature dipped down to about 25 degrees in November. Had a Chrysler re-man installed, and the dealer urged me to get a new controller, which I did, (along with the rear main seal), and it lasted to 265K. The new controller made the shifts noticeably smoother. You may be on borrowed time, but the controller couldn't hurt, assuming you have the original on the car. (My minivan's controller was mounted on the firewall.)
I did replace the controller with the updated finned type from a '91 Caravan. It has indeed made a difference. It's still a little wonky from 1-2 upshift, but not nearly like before. Obviously the trans is living its final days, but it's at least doing its job for now! Gentle accelerating and not driving it hard, combined with watching the fluid level, seems to be working for now.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is how mine started out in cold weather the trans would not take 4th gear and would go into limp in mode. Brought it into the dealership and they could not find anything. Then in June it acted up again. The internal seals were leaking and it needed a rebuild. For me this problem started around 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Nice car! I have always loved the Dynasty's beautiful lines! Nice color too, my '92 Imperial(RIP) was this color...

I am glad she is on the road again!
'90-'93 Imperials are one of my dream cars, and I have been desperately hunting for a good one near me. They are definitely a rare bird. I'll find one eventually!

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Don't give up - it took me three years to get mine! I eventually had to go to Vancouver because there were never any up for sale around here.

Reluctantly sold it in November after 8+ years due to medical issues that forced me to buy something easier to get into.

Reactions: Allan Benavidez

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
Imperials seem to have almost disappeared, probably because there are so many high priced failures: air suspension, ABS, transmission, etc. Things those of us who've had these cars can take care of but would scare off most owners so the get rid of the car.
I really liked the 1990 Imperial I had, fully loaded, dark blue in and out. It felt odd in that it was narrow, but otherwise it was a good car.

Reactions: wolfsblood07

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
It felt odd in that it was narrow, but otherwise it was a good car.
I had a bit of a tough time adjusting to the Pacifica because of the width after the Imperial... those first couple months, I kept parallel parking a good foot away from the curb because I was worried about getting onto the sidewalk.

Did a quick search this morning - there's one 1992 Imperial listed in Alberta, none in BC or Saskatchewan. That's about the same as when I bought mine - usually around spring and summer is when they start popping up for sale, and then it'll be 2-4 up for sale for the whole year over the entirety of western Canada. Rarely in Sask.

My advice is go for 1992-1993. Then you get the auto headlamps and the 3.8 engine was standard.

Reactions: Allan Benavidez

·
Registered
293 Posts
They are definitely a rare bird. I'll find one eventually!
My friends call me the "king of craigslist" because they can't believe the old Chryslers that I always seem to find.
Florida is one of the last sources for our beloved EEKs and M Bodies, BUT let me tell you that they have almost disappeared over the last 5 yrs. I constantly scour craigslist FL in the hope that I might find another EEK, but lately to no avail. Your best bet would be ebay or autotrader classic. Here is a pic of my '92 Imperial that died from an impossible to find ABS pump motor failure. _20151225_181542.JPG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Wanted to update on the Dynasty. The Lucas really has made a difference, and the transmission does its job fairly well now about 95% of the time. It still has a hiccup here and there that will send it into limp mode, but a quick pull over and cycle of the key resets it and then it goes back to shifting perfectly fine. These A604's are so odd. Lol in the meantime I'm saving up for when the trans finally gives up the ghost, which I'm sure isn't too far in the future.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The early Ultra Drive / A604 4 speed transmissions had their share of problems. But over the years there have been updates and service bulletins to the point that the current 41TE is almost a different transmission and if you want your A604 rebuilt, most transmission shops will just replace your A604 with a reman 41TE because it would be expensive to put all of the updates into your A604.

The original A604 trans in my 92 Plymouth Grand Voyager made it until about 90,000 miles til it developed problems with the internal seals leaking and it would not shift into 4th gear. At one point this transmission was averaging 30,000 to 40,000 miles between rebuilds. The A604 made it about 30,000 miles until something in the planetary gear set let loose and it did a hard downshift into 1st gear on me. No limp in mode it was locked into 1st gear and no reverse. The second time it did the same thing again around 30,000 to 40,000 miles. A hard downshift into 1st gear.
The first time a Chrysler dealer did the rebuild. The second and third rebuilds, I should say reman trans, were done at Kerry Brothers Trans shop in Waukegan Illinois. They have been in business since 1951 or 1953. The third reman trans was the charm. I must have well over 150,000 miles on it and it is still going strong.

This Plymouth Voyager is my only vehicle and it is my daily driver.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts