Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a older van that everything is falling apart on. The trans was rebuilt about a 100k ago and the engine runs perfect to. I thought I could find a decent 95 somewhere, but they don't seem to be out there on Craigslist etc. Other than the computers and other things that could be switched over is the trans and engine swappable to the 96-2000 years? The 91 has the 3.3 and 4 speed trans. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
Physically it would fit, electronics would be a nightmare. Even putting the 91 tranmission in anything newer than 1992 will likely give you some electronic issues.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So even if I found a newer van with a bad trans or engine I could not switch over any of the computers from the trans, engine or BCM of the newer van?

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
Computers changed a bit through the years. In 1993 the trans. computer was used to adjust the pinion factor. in prior years that was done with a gear in the passenger axle side shaft. You can't swap a 1991 computer into a 1993 plus van because they won't communicate with each other, but you might have a chance to adapt the new speed sensing setup to the 1991 transmission. The very early into the 1996 model year, the PRNDL and separate neutral safety switch was dropped and replaced with a TRS (Transmission Range Sensor). That makes the swap from a PRNDL trans into a TRS vehicle a no go.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Best to stick with a 1991-1992 vehicle for the reasons mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts