Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was suprised when yesterday my 91 lebaron conv. key cylinder popped out!

i managed to wiggle it back by pushing it in and turning key clockwise, like FSM advised.
i noticed that the "pin" that is supposed to be locking the cylinder in place was missing.
i suppose i need to go and buy new cylinder. ok.

surfed rockauto.com and noticed that atleast they dont offer key cylinder to 91, only to 92 and newer?
is it different in 91.

i have new more curved dashboard that came in 91 ... (with tilt wheel and analog gauges, floor shifter 3.0automatic) otherwise plain jane model

thanks a lot!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
IIRC, they are pretty much the same when it comes to the cylinder, but there may be some color/trim differences. Take the old cylinder (if possible) to Advance, AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reillys, or whatever, and see if they can match it up. Key cylinders are a pretty common off the shelf items and not that expensive. Be aware that once it snaps in-place, in order to get it out, you will need to do a little disassembly. So... if it appears to match, get it re-keyed to match your key before putting it in, unless you want to deal with 2 keys.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
oops looked more careful, i had to choose engine to be SOHC 3.0, not OHV 3.0
now i found them.. coming in snail mail

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS US141LT (US-141LT) Ignition Lock Cylinder (8301.20.0000) € 12.20 € 0.00 1 € 12.20 STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS US240T Starter Switch
I just noticed from your avatar that you are from Finland, so I can see why you are going the Rock Auto route. I doubt any parts stores would carry that locally.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
That pin may still be in there... pull the column cover off and see if you can find it. If you do, often it can be reinstalled into the lock cylinder fairly easily.

My mother's old 1991 Fifth had that problem. The pin was just sitting there on top of the ignition switch below the hole it's supposed to lock into. I put it back in, replaced the lock cylinder, and it never had another problem with it popping out. I did have to replace the ignition switch on that car, but that's another story.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i just did this. Make sure you get the correct one. One has a C shaped up on the end and the other has a flat end. The computer showed that my 90 took one but it really took the other.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually i ordered them cause local dealer has tem -but price is for key cylinder ONLY appr.70 USD.
i`ll try to find that pin though... one never plays too safe-its summer and i want to have my ragtop in running order whole summer.

·
Registered
733 Posts
it was over 100 US to get mine from a dealer so it matched my old key. I just went for the 20 dollar one and now i have two keys. \

If i have my old lock you can have it for the pin.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i keep forgetting to look. i was sick last night, i didnt even eat...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts