Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Long time no post but I guess that's good news because our van has just been so good! However it definitely needs some fixin' up before winter.

Just this morning it wouldn't stay running. I could start it and it would run for a few seconds but then quits, but then starts right back up. I smell fuel from the rear so I'll start there. Recently I changed the fuel filter but couldn't find any leaking in the lines so I assumed it was the tank that will need replacing soon.

Could it be the fuel pump? Or perhaps the coil? Wires were changed 2 years ago.

Thanks for any and all help!

Pete

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
First thing I would do is check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve in the fuel line. If you don't have a gage, some parts stores will rent one or lend it at no charge.

Fuel pressure with the engine running should be about 48 psi. It should go above 50 psi if you remove the vacuum line to the pressure regulator also in the line to the left of the schrader valve. If you turn the key to the "on" position, the pump should run for a second or so and the pressure should go above 50 psi and hold for a while. If it doesn't do that, you could have a problem with your pressure regulator as I did with my 94 3.3L. a few months ago. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I poked around the fuel lines and couldn't find any leaks. I think maybe the gasket for the filler tube or something like that is letting vapours out. It seems to be worse near the filler side of the van, and towards the back. I tried squeezing some rubber lines and I could hear the pump working harder so I think it's fine.

I think the not running problem was caused by the weather i.e. it was raining really hard all night and the morning when it wouldn't run. Now it fires up and runs no problem. I wiped the wires with varsol to dry them out. Perhaps it's time for new wires? Although these are only two years old so that seems odd.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok guys I've checked the fuel pressure at the shrader valve and it seems solid. Holds 48 psi and jumps up with the vacuum line removed from the regulator.

I've listened to all the injectors and they sound fine.

I had a broken engine ground but fixed that and it's the same.

I'm going to change the wires but I doubt it's them. I did have it crap out in the rain a few times so I think it's time anyway.

Any other ideas? Hopefully this isn't like a complicated computer thing...

Thanks a lot guys,
Pete

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
I'd check the crank position sensor.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it was the wires. I feel like a fool.

Thanks again guys...

Pete

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed relatively cheaply. I know they're a pain in the keester to replace, though.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually it wasn't that bad. Perhaps because I did them 2 years ago, but I didn't need to take anything apart and I basically just felt with my hand around for the back ones, getting familiar with the location before removing them and replacing them one by one.

I'll never buy NGK wires again. I think 2 years is absurdly short lifetime especially when I put maybe 10,000km to 15,000km on the van each year only. The were the blue silicone ones. Absolute garbage.

The only wasted expense was having to purchase the fuel gauge since none of the local places here (partsource, canadian tire, fat guys) had a loan a tool for that. $60 wasted since I already own one, it's just in storage in a different city.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts