Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I have a 92 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE with the overhead console and intermittently the display will not light up after starting the vehicle.
When the display does come on it will do one of two things.

1. lights up normally, meaning I can adjust the intensity or brightness of the display with the dashboard lighting when the headlamps are on. Or.

2. Display lights up at full intensity and I can not adjust the intensity of the display when the headlamps are on. I can adjust the intensity of the dashboard but the overhead display will remain at full intensity.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The only 1992 AS-body wiring diagram I saw on the internet was a sheet for the headlamp switch wiring that showed a Pink wire being used to control the panel lamps.
If the other dash lamps are dimming correctly, the problem isn't here.
If you still have the factory radio, the overhead VF display should behave in the same way as the radio display. When the headlamp switch is moved to the Parking light position, the display brightness should drop by half. Then it should vary with the rheostat dimming control.
The problem may be in the aged electrolytic capacitors on the overhead Compass/Temperature/Trip circuit board getting leaky and in need of replacement. It's like radio repair work. You will need a small soldering iron and tools and a bench. The capacitance and voltage values and +/- polarity orientation are printed on the old caps.
The overhead panel assembly is held up by screws and spring clips I believe. You may want a service manual.
Radio Shack may be the quickest source for replacement capacitors in their hobby section although I am disappointed in what Radio Shack has become. They are becoming a phone store more than electronics. They don't do car audio anymore either like they did in the old days.
If you have other electronic parts stores around, you may want to check them out for replacement caps. They shouldn't be expensive and repair is usually worth a try first.
Used overhead C/T displays are probably available out there and may work fine, but you may be able to fix your old one. It's up to you.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thank you for the welcome.

Yes my mini van still has the Chrysler Infinity factory radio. I also have the Mopar service manual for 1992. The radio display and the dashboard dims fine with the rheostat dimming control.
I will take a good look at the display board checking the solder connections.
I can pickup new caps at an electronics supply store, Tri State Electronics.
According to the service manual, the overhead console is held in place with two screws at the front and it slides into a mount at the rear. After removing the screws slide the console towards the windshield to remove.

I know electronics and repairs quite well. I am an Amateur Radio operator, hense my user name. I have built VHF / UHF transmitters and receivers. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Then you sound totally prepared and qualified for this repair. Best of luck on this. It sounds like you have a nicely loaded vehicle in good condition.
I had my novice license and my CB (11 meters) license about 40 years ago and have been wanting to go for the general-class ticket lately. I worked at a stereo repair shop and did the auto radios (mostly Delco) and now work at Harris/RF building and testing tactical handhelds.
I am an avid MW-SWL and collect and restore boatanchors and hi-fi that takes me back to my boyhood wonders.
The wife is assured that I'm staying out of trouble with this 'hobby' affliction, except when I get caught trying to sneak them into the house. Anyways I can't yell at her about her shoe collection anymore. 73's. :lol:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All you need for the General class license is 5 words per minute.

Sounds like we could talk over a beer for a long time.

I will let you know how this works out.
As for the condition of the van........... its still in the box with the wood grain sides on it. So it must be in mint condition. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts