Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, A new problem has come up on my New Yorker. When I start the engine, the wipers take one pass across the windshield, then another pass about 30 seconds later. This repeats then may stop on its own. I've not driven it far enough to see how long they'll run. Does anyone have a suggestion? Switch? Relay? Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
983 Posts
If the switch is good, it is probably a body computer problem as the wiper intermittent and low/high controls are in there. You should be able to hear the low relay close, then open to cycle the wipers. You could try disconnecting the combination switch and see if they still come on, if they do then the body computer (behind the right side kick panel) is the culprit. I have seen a number of these where water has gotten in them, usually from a windshield or cowl seal leak. For some reason, unlike the early EFI cars with the split computer (1983-87) Chrysler didn't put any kind of water shield on these BCMs.

If it is the BCM, good luck in finding one, they are rather difficult to located and not readily available rebuilt.

·
Super Moderator
21,629 Posts
Remove the right kick panel and look for evidence of water intrusion/corrosion. The circuit board may be cleaned up and saved if necessary as long as nothing is extensively damaged. Does the carpet get wet in rain?
Corrosion can conduct a 'sense' voltage if damp. Diagnose this first.
I have also seen intermittent/poor contact Park switches in the motor gearbox cause phantom sweeps of the wipers. Minivans had multifunction switch issues, cars not so much, but it can still happen.
A 12v peanut bulb wired into the delay wiper or Park sense circuit can indicate the presence of a closed circuit for help in diagnosis when this occurs.

Reactions: Dave46052

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the switch is good, it is probably a body computer problem as the wiper intermittent and low/high controls are in there. You should be able to hear the low relay close, then open to cycle the wipers. You could try disconnecting the combination switch and see if they still come on, if they do then the body computer (behind the right side kick panel) is the culprit. I have seen a number of these where water has gotten in them, usually from a windshield or cowl seal leak. For some reason, unlike the early EFI cars with the split computer (1983-87) Chrysler didn't put any kind of water shield on these BCMs.

If it is the BCM, good luck in finding one, they are rather difficult to located and not readily available rebuilt.
Thanks for your quick response!
I pulled the wiper fuse last night and this morning I can hear the BCM cycling at the intermittent wiper times. Not sure if this means a bad switch or a bad BCM. I'll probably let my mechanic sort that one out! Thanks, again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove the right kick panel and look for evidence of water intrusion/corrosion. The circuit board may be cleaned up and saved if necessary as long as nothing is extensively damaged. Does the carpet get wet in rain?
Corrosion can conduct a 'sense' voltage if damp. Diagnose this first.
I have also seen intermittent/poor contact Park switches in the motor gearbox cause phantom sweeps of the wipers. Minivans had multifunction switch issues, cars not so much, but it can still happen.
A 12v peanut bulb wired into the delay wiper or Park sense circuit can indicate the presence of a closed circuit for help in diagnosis when this occurs.
Hello, Many things have gone wrong in recent days. Locks, lights and headlight doors are malfunctioning. I've decided to replace the BCM with a unit I found in Canada on Ebay. Do you have any suggestions before we work on it tomorrow? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Good luck with it, hopefully you will be getting a good one.

Reactions: Dave46052

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
. . . . A new problem has come up on my New Yorker. When I start the engine, the wipers take one pass across the windshield, then another pass about 30 seconds later. This repeats then may stop on its own. . . . .
This is a link to a 2 part video that shows a wiper run issue on a 1992 Chrysler LeBaron. Is this intermittent operation depict what is happening on your New Yorker? Do you hear an intermittent click as witnessed in Part 2 video at interval 0:45 and 1:02? Do the wipers work normally on high speed?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtIn8N0-gk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQkOR8CbW9k

If the answer is YES to all 3 questions highlighted then I would suspect that the wiper relay has corroded contact points. When the BCM causes the wiper relay contacts to close, pitting / corrosion is not permitting adequate current flow to occur to move the wiper motor armature shaft off its PARK position. See if you can swap the wiper relay for a similar in the fuse box and the problem disappears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts