Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 92 Shadow with a 2.2 and 87k on it. I am having some electical issues and was wondering if someone can help. The problem started with charging up my A/C the other day. The car took freon and the A/C was working great. The next day, I went to start the car, and these weren't working: the turn signals, blower motor, rear window defroster, radio, and the airbag light was on. I drove it to work that way. After about 4 or 5 hours of it sitting at work, I went to start the car and everything starting working again, except my A/C. I push the button, and the A/C compressor won't even turn on. If anyone has any ideas on this, I would appreciate the help.

Some history: I replaced the battery a few days ago, and before that, I had a code 37, not sure if that's related to my issue or not. All 4 ground wires check out ok, and they are all intact.

·
Super Moderator
36,921 Posts
Given what isn't working and the fact the airbag light remained on, I'd suspect the ignition switch. If it happens again wiggle the key back and forth just a bit and see what happens.

As for the AC, it is possible that if you filled it and never addressed why it was low to begin with that the higher pressure of the fresh charge exacerbated whatever was leaking and the charge may now be too low to kick the compressor on. Do you have gauges for the AC to check high and low pressures?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Although, it hasn't had the ignition issue act up since I posted this a few days ago, the A/C is still won't work. My dad, who is a Toyota tech, used a recovery and fill machine they use at the dealership. At the start of last summer, he used the machine to recharge the A/C. Turns out, the machine was malfunctioning at that time, and even though it said it was charged, it only added a few ounces of freon instead. A/C worked great for about an hour, then the A/C just kept getting warmer and warmer. I didn't worry about it because I was having other issues with the Shadow, so I parked it for a while. I had another car I drove then.

This year, before the ignition issue, my dad recharged the A/C and used a set of gauges he has and added freon until it was full and it was almost empty from the last year. All the pressures were ok and the A/C worked great. It lasted most of the day, until I had the accessory issue. I guess it is possible it has a leak, but, if the freon leaked out that fast, I would think the leak would have been seen while he was charging it, or at least heard it hiss out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts