Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The automatic shifter on our 90 Sundance has seen better days. It works, the release button often falls off, the gear position indicator is schetchy and the safety interlock (I can turn off the car and remove the key in any gear) are all issues.

My daughter and I like the look of the newer style, leather wrapped auto shifters I see on the 92's. Can I install the newer style auto shifter from a 92 Shadow/Sundance on my 90?

If I can use it, will I need to perform the shifter adjustment proceedure after installation?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Don't know if it will fit, but any time you disturb the setup, you need to adjust it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The 92 and up shifter knob ( simulated leather wrapped ) is a direct swap with the earlier, squareish knob. Just remove the set screw and pull up. Both the handle and the pushbutton will pop right off. Slip the new outer part on, tighten the set screw and drop in the pushbutton/shaft. Push the pushbutton down until it snaps into place and that's it.
Make your adjustments as neccessary.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The safety interlock might be a problem with key wear. I drove a '91 Spirit while my '95 was laid up, and the key was so worn, you could take it out while the car was running.
It seems to me like you're dealing with multiple problems. Replacing the shift handle will fix the button, but the range indicator is a separate mechanism. It's not difficult to fix if you have a good manual.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob Lincoln, george w, B10alia;

The auto shifter needed replacing prior to my daughter's drivers liscense exam so I busted out the 94 shifter. The 94 knob + button could be altered to work in the 90 shifter stick but I decided to replace the whole mechinism instead. The difference between the button mechanisms can be adjusted with a small fill or a sharp knife; the leading edge, where the set screw goes is the difference. The 94 will need a bit trimed of it to function correctly. The 90, ironically will drop in and work in a 94 with no required alterations.

I am still figuring out how the "park & nuetral" sensing works with the ignition and shut-off, as I can still turn the vehicle off in any gear. I have since replace my key lock cylinder. I found a mechanism in a 92 steering colume which I thought was part of that system, now I am less certain.

I was able to swap the shifters without aadjusting the transmission cable but I plan, to check it anyhow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts