Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 92 lebaron's 4 speed OD automatic transmission died (big surprise, huh?) and I needed a new one. Through some horse-trading, I received a 95 Lebaron transmission from a friend that is known good. (He had swapped it for a manual). After spending all Thanksgiving break installing it, I found that the '95 stays in limp-home mode and will not go into any other gears besides reverse and 2nd. I now hear rumors that you can't put a 95 in a 92, and it must be a 92. Can anybody tell me what I must do to the 95 to get it to work in the 92 or if it is even possible? I did need to change the tail shaft extension to accommodate the 92's speed sensor.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,713 Posts
What TCM are you using and what is the part# on the label?
4796123 is for a 1992 3.0L AJ and 4686606 would be for 1993-1995 AJ and is the one that you want to use. The pinouts may be the same, but you may want to review the wire colors on the connector to be sure.
TSB 18-24-95 covered TCM part #'s and applications on p.4 here:
http://www.robskorner.info/faqs/tsb/18-24-95.pdf
Does the speedometer/odometer work?
Do you still have the tail shaft extension to install if you have to?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I took so long to reply. I haven't had a chance to look at the tcm or wire colors. But I did swap the tailshaft. since the 95 trans didn't have tailshaft sensor. Thank you for the Chrysler TSB. I was about to junk this car but I might not need to now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts