Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post on the forums :thumbsup:

To start, I am the proud owner of a 93 New Yorker Fifth Avenue. I've had this car since 2007, and up until now, it's been very good to me. Recently, the ABS hydraulic junk system took a crap, causing me to lose power assist. The pump had been running almost non-stop for about a year until it finally just quit. Luckily, nothing was hit because of it and I was able to get home in one piece! I am well aware of the numerous recalls on the system, and how faulty/unreliable it is in general. The car apparently had the entire hydraulic unit replaced by a previous owner in 1998 under the extended 100,000 mile coverage. I'm not positive, but I think the pump motor and accumulator are covered for the lifetime of the car. Correct me if I am wrong on that..

Now, heres my real question on this..

In searching for prices and parts and trying to talk to different Chrysler/Dodge dealers in the area, I have discovered that the entire process of repairing this system is a general pain in the [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms]! I know some cars can be converted over to traditional vaccuum power assist with ABS delete, but I'm not sure if this can be done on my specific car. If it can, how hard of a job is it? Cost? Time to complete? Also, are there any detalied instructions on the conversion process anywhere? Or, has anybody here done this conversion themselves that can point me in the right direction on what parts and tools are needed? I've searched high and low and have yet to come across instructions on this conversion process anywhere. I'd much rather convert it over to the standard vaccuum assist setup than repair this faulty hydraulic pump thing and have problems with it again in the future, as I'm sure I would.

I really, really do not want to get rid of this car as it's been nothing but reliable over the years, and is in very good shape in general. So, please do not advise me to junk it or part it out or anything like that. Any and all info and advice is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Don't hear too many problems on here about this brake problem, but I did look and find a little information on the topic. First thing would be to diagnose what the actual problem component is before going through the effort of updating to a newer system front to back. What I did find is there is a bit of system diagnosis at start-up and may or may not be totally replaceable given the PCM itself controls its function. Check out this very informative site on the system, how it works, how to diagnose, and the very last paragraph talks about the recall/replacement components, which may or may not be your issue.

www,aa1car.com/library/abs_bendix10.htm has a little bit of information on this topic,

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
Welcome! The 1993 New Yorker is still a K based car so I moved the post to the EEK section. The Bendix 10 system was very troublesome and complex. if you decide to undergo the conversion even the brake pedal needs to be swapped. here are a couple threads for reference. I am sure there are probably many more floating around ALLPAR,

http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/150560-93-imperial-abs-10-conversion/?hl=bendix#entry11353245
http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/120187-permanent-bendix-10-repair/

And this one off of ALLPAR:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1990/Repair/ABS/index.html

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
It can be done. My Imperial (which came with this system as standard equipment) had the swap done by the previous owner just before I bought it... it was a major factor in me buying the car. He used salvage yard parts for the brake pedal, master cylinder, proportioning valve, and booster and completely overhauled the entire brake system while he was at it.

Note that if you have EVIC (overhead trip computer), you will lose your brake fluid level warning unless you grab the sensor and do some wiring to get that back. I did - not sure it was worth the trouble.

In the five years I've had the car it's had other problems, but never an issue with the brakes. I'm quite happy about that.

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
I've converted 2, one of those threads is mine from the 91 Imperial's conversion. Like wolf said, you need those parts from a Non-ABS Dynasty or New Yorker. If your brake lines aren't too rusty, you can cut them back and flare them without replacing them. The labor is the killer, takes a lot of time between ripping out the old ABS Junk, trimming and flaring brake lines, mounting the proportioning valve, , installing the new brake pedal/booster/master, hooking it all up and bleeding everything out. The result is great and never having to see the stupid ABS Light on again is worth all the work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mydodgedip said:
I've converted 2, one of those threads is mine from the 91 Imperial's conversion. Like wolf said, you need those parts from a Non-ABS Dynasty or New Yorker. If your brake lines aren't too rusty, you can cut them back and flare them without replacing them. The labor is the killer, takes a lot of time between ripping out the old ABS Junk, trimming and flaring brake lines, mounting the proportioning valve, , installing the new brake pedal/booster/master, hooking it all up and bleeding everything out. The result is great and never having to see the stupid ABS Light on again is worth all the work.
Im new to this forum so bear with me. Im just doing this conversion on a 89 New Yorker landau and got a new booster and new master cylinder for a non ABS new Yorker and a used proportionong valve. I dont need to replace the brake pedal since it fit fine.My problem is that none of the brake line fitting on the original brake lines fit on the proportioning valve. The ABs system was a Bosch but was giving me a problems.
Im trying to remove the fitting and install the correct ones but the problem is that Im having a hard time doing the double flaring on the steel line.
I have a regular double flaring tool but i try to do the flaring on one line and its almost imposible. Is there a special flaring tool for steel line? I was thinking about buying a couple of premade brake line and use a union compression fitting but hear its not allowed to pass inspection with a compression fitiing on the brake line.
Any sugestion?
Thanks
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts