Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i have a 93 4x4 dakota, with a 3.9 and manual trans. i have replaced the slave cylinder and looked at the mastercylinder for the hydraulic clutch and i can not get enough pressure to even bust the straps on the new slave cylinder. It does not have a bleeder on the line anywhere and i followed the instructions on how to fill the slave and install it. I tore the whole tranny apart and found no issues so in know its just not moving the fork far enough forward to disengage the clutch. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks Devon

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
The master cyl, fluid line and slave cyl are usually all replaced as an assembly for service. Many times that is the only way you can get them.
The only bleeding procedure would be to get the bubbles to rise to the top with the slave cylinder removed and tilted downwards to get any air to travel up the line to the top (maybe overnight). This is the way that I have bled convertible top cylinders that also don't have bleeder screws.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Agree, it is a labor of love to get the air out of the master cylinder the first time and as you noted, no bleeder in the slave cylinder. If I recall the bleeding procedure for my PT Cruiser slave cylinder (same style as the Dakota), first thing is to fill the slave cylinder and get as much air as possible out of it. this takes placing the filling orafice into some of the correct (DOT 3 or DOT 4, not sure) fluid and pushing the rod in and sucking in as much fluid as possible with the rod extended. From there, bleed the line with a small jar (a person helping really makes this go well), or using a bleeder gun that can suck the brake fluid through the line is great to remove any bubbles there, then, push the rod for the slave cylinder in until the air is out of it, put the line onto the slave cylinder, and hope you got it. In order to get the rest of the air out, you have to push the slave rod to push the fluid and any air bubbles into the tube that connects to the clutch master cylinder, slowly letting the air rise. Pump too fast and you get one bubble into a hundred, pus slow, and I found tapping the line to make the bubbles move up and watch them in the overflow worked. Expect to take about an hour to hour and a half to get the air out, it is a bit of a pain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts