Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm trying to help my daughter long-distance in her negotiations with a repair establishment. Anyone know - or think they have a good estimate of labor hours to replace a power steering pump? She's being quoted almost $500. Most expensive pump Napa sells is about $56. That's a heckuvva lotta labor.

Bryan - in KY (daughter in TX)

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Depends on access. What engine is it? I have no experience with the V-6, but even the 4-cylinders are not as easy as you'd think. To replace it on the 4-cyl, you have to remove all three drive belts, then access to the rigid lines at the back of the pump is terrible - you have to get at it from below the car and behind the pump, where it will drip in your face. The factory puts them on so tight, it's possible to crimp the lines or break them in trying to unscrew them. Then it unbolts from the mounting bracket. Reverse the procedure to install, refill with PS fluid, bleed the air out by turning full right and left. I can see at least 3 hours on the 4-cyl, so that's $300 plus the pump, plus fluid and hazardous disposal fee. I can expect the pump to be marked up to $100 easily, and fluid $20, so you're almost there.

If money is a concern, and some friend local to her can do the job, that's the way to go.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
$500. does seem somewhat high but it depends on how much she's being charged for the pump. Labor should be no more than two hours. All 94's are the 3.0 V6 and changing the pump isn't all that difficult.

Are you SURE the pump is bad ? It's not that common. Is the pump leaking ? And, if so, are you sure it's the pump ? The return hose is low pressure and is secured with two standard hose clamps. This is a common leak point as the clamps can get loose or the hose could be deteriorated. Another possible and common leak point is the power steering pressure switch which is mounted on the high pressure line near the pump. Both of these items are more likely to be causing a fluid leak than the pump itself.

·
Registered
733 Posts
mine wasnt that much but when he got done he said he should have charged me more because it was hard to do. Then again he didnt have a lift.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts