Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 93 Mitsu Mighty Max this weekend for $300. The truck was for sale about 4 years ago on our lot on base for $2500 ( I am in the Coast Guard). The owner wouldn't budge on the price and I didn't have that much cash on hand so I passed on it. A few weeks later I see one of our officers driving the truck, he paid $1400 for it?! I told him that when he no longer wanted the truck to give me a call. Friday I got an email from him saying the engine has a knock in the bottom end and it would need a new engine. It has the 2.4 4 cylinder. I have a 318 and 904 from my 81 Mirada CMX in storage. So now the project has begun, it may take awhile since the truck is in North Carolina where I am stationed and the engine and transmission are back home in Florida in my parents garage. Until I get ready for the engine swap I am going to swap the badges and grill over to a Dodge D50, replace the interior, upgrade the suspension, and paint it satin black with Mopar Blue pin striping. The body is near perfect (small dings) and everything works (except for the knocking) The truck can be driven if you keep it below 2000RPM so I can move it around pretty easily. I am not a mechanic so I am going to need a little bit of help with this one. I am hoping I can find junk yard parts from a Dakota to make things easier. I have already chatted with Rich Ehrenberg from Mopar Action Magazine and he told me I will most likely have to move the radiator but other than that it is a straight forward swap (motor mounts, cross members, pedals and shifter)

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Nice little swap. There are a few things you may need to get everything working, this is quite an undertaking if not real familiar with the components and setup of doing this project, but take it piece by piece. Starting with the motor mounts, get the engine and trans in place, may be others that have done the swap, or another company out there that has the needed motor mounts to make it work, this helps, along with the transmission mounting. Moving a radiator is not difficult, but something easier may be simply installing an electric radiator fan and removing the fan from the engine itself for clearance. Exhaust will need to be redone, a local shop can handle that, 2.0 - 2.5 inch exhaust with a crossover (or H pipe design) is the best, Transmission will require the yoke out the transmission from the 727/904 along with the U-joint attached to the driveline in the truck, this isn't a difficult swap for a person to machine and fit that has a lathe and a welder. There are other things, so if you have questions, ask.

Should be a very fun and peppy little swap. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
There is one in copperas cove tax with a 302. It looks stock including the 14 inch wheels except it has a cowl induction hood on it. I hope you get this going it sound like it will be a fun little pickup.
Mick

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If I remember right, there had been a kit to mount the small block and transmission from Mopar Performance for the earliest D50s, as it was used as a race truck. I have no idea if any of those parts are left though.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I can always search the Direct Connection parts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts