Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
troyradioboy1 said:
when i turn key to run. i get no fuel. having someone else turn the key, i can hear the pump run in the tank.
when i crank engine i get a little fuel.
Based on that, it does sound like the fuel pump.... or very low fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
fuel pump replaced. nothing. we put another gallon of gas in it. should be at least 2 full gallons. should i fill it up to 5 or six? will it really matter. wanna buy a sundance? lol.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
So, you have only 2 gallons in the tank? Yes, add at least 1-2 more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
two more gallons and cranked it till the battery died. Im done. thank you both for all the help. Gonna park it till the landlord makes me sell it.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Don't give up on it. I'll read through it all tomorrow and see what we missed. Remind me, is the ignition rotor fairly new?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Rotor button distributor cap and wires about a year and a half.
head gasket was replaced earlier this year.
thermostat, temp sensor, radiator, water pump, hoses and fan relay the month before that.
battery last winter.
fuel pump and fuel filter today.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
troyradioboy1 said:
Rotor button distributor cap and wires about a year and a half.
head gasket was replaced earlier this year.
thermostat, temp sensor, radiator, water pump, hoses and fan relay the month before that.
battery last winter.
fuel pump and fuel filter today.
Recharge the battery and hook up an inductive pickup timing light to each plug wire one at a time and verify that for each wire you get solid flashes from your light. I'm still leaning toward a bad (intermittant) distributor pickup because of the intermittant nature of how the pump acted.

There are still a number of tests to be run to figure out what is going on. The key is not to jump to conclusions until you have pretty firm evidence as to what is going on.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
two more gallons and cranked it till the battery died. Im done. thank you both for all the help. Gonna park it till the landlord makes me sell it.
Just be careful here. Non-running and non tagged vehicles could be towed away at the owner's expense. That is often written in the fine print of rental agreements. It depends on how well you know the landlord and if there are any other tenants that complain. I only mention it because it happened to one of my kids. It would have cost him $300 (towing plus storage) to get his non-running/non tagged vehicle back. He agreed to just give it to the towing company if they would waive those fees. He lost a car that he probably would have got $200 for salvage.
Hopefully, things will improve financially for you so you can figure out what is going on. Can you borrow a charger and timing light?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I do not know of anyone that owns a timing light. All the mechanics i know are "old school" and think they don't need them. "I can do it by ear he says" Hes a good guy but wont help me because my car "isnt a real mopar" meaning he knows nothing about it. lol.

Not that i am that experienced at using a timing light, but.. i can hook one up and it will work if the car is not running? If the spark was bad wouldn't it not run when gas was put in the TB?

Ok so if the injector was bad i would get a code correct?
I do have a volt meter. but no test light or anything along those lines.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
"Old school" means using a timing light. He doesn't want to work on your car because he doesn't know how.

For maybe $10, you can get an inline spark tester that plugs between the spark plug wire and the spark plug, and is a clear tube through which you can see any spark.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My friend has an 83 Dodge 400 2.2 convertible, and one day before a mopar show it would not start..come to find out the timing was way off....Never give up on an automobile unless its some DSM crap...or ricer mobile

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Less than $10 on the spark tester. If you can't get one from an auto parts store, a small engine repair shop should have one. Unfortunately, the OBD system on this vintage of car often "misses" faults. But there's not much in the way of major electrical faults that can't be found with a volt/ohmmeter. Timing "by ear" is pretty crude as compared to doing it with a light, and if you can't get the car to start, it's not going to work anyway. You may also want to pull and check the plugs. I noticed that you didn't have them on your list of tuneup parts that were done.
Something else I just remembered:
The fuel injector pulses at a very similar rate to the ignition system. See if you can borrow a timing light (maybe from your brother?) and check the ignition timing. If that checks out, shoot the light down the TB and you should be able to see a mist of fuel. If you don't see anything, depressurize the fuel system, remove the injector (considerably easier than it sounds), and briefly touch a 9V battery to the pins. The injector will click if it's good, if you hear nothing, the injector has an internal issue and needs to be cleaned or replaced.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK well i took the 9v battery out of my volt meter, its the only one i could find. Pulled the injector, not a problem. negative to negative and positive to positive and got nothing. Is it an audible click or would it be something i would feel while holding it. Also i know the battery works well enough for my volt meter but i'm not sure if it has enough juice to do something like this. using the volt meter, does anyone have any numbers of what a good inject would run? On 200 ohm setting i get a constant 2.5 ohm reading. i have seen many different numbers that other sites have spouted off, but none of them were the same and most were for multi injector systems.

B10alia -your right, i forgot to include plugs in the tune up list. they were done at the same times as the wire and cap.

sorry. 1.8 ohm.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
A 9V battery will not activate a fuel injector solenoid. Since injectors are anywhere from 3 to 14 ohms, you'd be trying to supply almost 1 to 3 amps from a battery that has 0.22 amp-hour capacity. You just end up shorting the battery and pulling its voltage down. So that test was invalid. You need to jumper the car battery briefly to the injector- just for a second or two. It will produce a soft click that you can only hear in a quiet environment. If the fuel pump has already primed it, you'll see and smell gas come out.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The injectors in these cars are rather loud-- you can sometimes hear them while the car is running. Someone else may be able to verify, but IIRC, the injector gave a noticeable click when I did this. I would check for you but my Spirit is Massachusetts and I'm in Virginia. It may be that the injector pintle is jammed or stuck, I would think that a truly blown injector would read no continuity. There really isn't much you can do to service the injector.
EDIT- Bob, I just saw your post, I was able to get this to work with my injector when I rebuilt my TB. Testing it with the car battery is still a good idea though. Maybe the difference in volume (I definitely heard a sharp click) is because I have a 2.5.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Verdict is - in fuel injector was clogged? I took it out yesterday and used that 9v and it did nothing as per above, i then hit it with the battery - nothing. then hit it again and it popped. Hot damn!. put it back in jumped it off and drove right to the gas station put in 4 more gallons and half an injector cleaner bottle.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Excellent! Never had any problems with one, last car had 308K miles on the original engine. But I find just using brand name gas and not letting the car sit for long periods will usually avoid problems. Consider a new injector if it acts up again.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yeah, the injector really isn't a common failure point on these cars. Although I suppose that this (happily) wasn't really a failure at all. Glad to hear you got her running again!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
It is unusual to get a clogged injector considering that the fuel filter should take care of any particulates in the fuel. If the car did sit for a long time, some gum may have formed in the lines and broke off after the car had been run for some time.

I also suppose that the injector solenoid could be intermittant, but that usually throws a code (i.e. injector circuit shorted or open).

I hope it stays good for you. Happy Holidays!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts