Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 93 Ram 2500 with no motor and no tranny, I have a 1987 318 that I am going to rebuild and put in the truck. The truck had a 5 speed, but I want to put a automatic in it, what automatic should I be looking for? Or would it be better to put a 5 speed back in the truck. Also the seller cant find the title but will give me a bill of sale, will it be hard getting a title for this truck and how much will that cost me? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
36,941 Posts
Title cost and process will probably vary by state and be next to impossible in some.
Tell the seller to get a duplicate one and add that to the cost of the truck. It will be much easier that way.
I assume you're not using the computer control for the engine since you picked a 1987 engine so you'll have to pick a pre-1996 transmission, either a 4 speed OD one or a 727/904 3 speed auto.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Title cost and process will probably vary by state and be next to impossible in some.
Tell the seller to get a duplicate one and add that to the cost of the truck. It will be much easier that way.
I assume you're not using the computer control for the engine since you picked a 1987 engine so you'll have to pick a pre-1996 transmission, either a 4 speed OD one or a 727/904 3 speed auto.
Seller said he doesnt want to mess with getting the title, just wants it out of his driveway. I would like to get the auto 4 speed with OD, what tranny is that?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If you do take it without a title, DO NOTHING TO IT until you have it titled. If he changes his mind, you'll have a very hard time with that.

If he's the title holder he probably can get a duplicate just by ordering one online or going in to MVD with his license. In my state it's $4.00. If he's unwilling then there could be a bigger problem that he has no title for it.

In my state, no title basically means no transaction. It's not impossible, but it is hard to get a title. The easiest way is via mechanic's lien or through lien based on storage fees. Odds are good that he'll have a hard time getting rid of it without a title any legitimate way.

As for the overdrive, you need a computer in order to use it the way it was intended and to not have to play with toggle switches. I'd look for a '93 van with a 318 or 360 to source the drivetrain from- people usually avoid vans because they're difficult to work on, but that means complete.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Nice Avatar... ;)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
The RH transmissions can be controlled with some basic electrical circuitry and a few pressure switches. The actual transmission only has two electrical inputs to control the lockup and the OD section. Automatically actuating those two circuits is where most people give up and do it with toggle switches.

·
Super Moderator
36,941 Posts
It would with work. The auto OD transmissions used a different transmission crossmember, you'd have to find a crossmember from an older truck to mount an A833 or a 727/904 auto (or fab one up yourself).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would with work. The auto OD transmissions used a different transmission crossmember, you'd have to find a crossmember from an older truck to mount an A833 or a 727/904 auto (or fab one up yourself).
The truck had a 5 speed in it, that crossmember would not work?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I'd say that I'm sorry, but honestly, if the whole deal was this messed up, it probably really is for the best. Sometimes I wonder if I should have waited for a D/W crew cab in town rather than picking up the $700 one that I had to get from down in Huachuca City, AZ, even though there was nothing wrong with the title.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd say that I'm sorry, but honestly, if the whole deal was this messed up, it probably really is for the best. Sometimes I wonder if I should have waited for a D/W crew cab in town rather than picking up the $700 one that I had to get from down in Huachuca City, AZ, even though there was nothing wrong with the title.
Well, I found a 1978 D100 for $850 and it has a title. The seller says someone put something in the gas tank and has to be dropped and cleaned, but a nice looking truck. Carb will have to be rebuilt, but has alot of options. Thinking hard about this one, the only thing I dont like is the 727 tranny 3 speed.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
That might be pretty nice. The D100 is probably the lightest one they made, so if you wanted to go performance it'd be a good choice, or if you want some better around-town fuel economy, likewise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The A833 was never used in trucks. The D100 would have either an A727, a NP435 4 speed, or a 3 speed manual-I can't remember the ID offhand...Sorry.
I have done some reading and some of the D100 and D200 did have the A833, late 70s and early 80s. The other 4 speed was a A435.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has nothing to do with a 93-different AW/AD trucks. A833 went out of production years befor the late 80's second generation AD truck. A435 was a sales order code for the wide ratio NP435 transmission.Before you argue further, you just might want to pay close attention to the years 1987 - 1992 on my bio here on Allpar:
http://www.allpar.co...ob-sheaves.html
The 833 was ill-suited even in the /6 powered D100. Simply not worth the effort.
http://www.dodgetalk...ad.php?t=189483 Against what you may believe, the 833 used was ONLY the junk OD model, NOT the v8 car transmission

http://www.slantsix....speed1.htm��Pay attention to the 1975 - 1987 ratio listing for the ONLY 833 for trucks.

http://www.slantsix....3fourspeed1.htm

Fixed that last link
I wasnt trying to be a smart @#$%, just telling you what I read. I didnt say they put them in the 93s. Thankyou for the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts