Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts fine when cold and if started soon after shutdown. If the engine hot soaks for awhile it takes much crancking to start and runs rough for a few seconds. Getting excellent fuel mileage.

AutoXray shows no fault codes.

I suspect the fuel regulator needs replacing. I sometimes smell gasoline after shutting the engine off.

Any Ideas on finding fault?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
There was a safety recall #790 that involved replacing the fuel pressure regulator o-rings and injector o-rings and a right bank plastic fuel rail if they were leaking fuel.
A scan tool may show a big difference between the right and left bank fuel trim adaptives. Usually the right side was way negative in trim value compared to the left side. Check with your dealer to see if it was completed or if you are still eligible for the recall. Have your VIN# handy.
Google: Chrysler recall #790.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remembered that Safety Recall #790 had been done. I called a dealer to verify that it was performed, and yes it was done in 1999.

I started to pull the injector rails off to replace all the "O" Rings, and I am having a hard time disconnecting the fuel and fuel return "Quick Disconnectors". I made a tool that is shown in the repair manual but I can't get the connectors off. I compress the plastic "hat" to the body as well as pulling on the plastic "hat" away from the body. Either way doesn't work.
What am I doing wrong? I don't want to break anything, that would be a disaster! "Quick Disconnect" is a misnomer.

I had these off one other time and did a test drive before my wife drove it. About a mile from home I smelled gas and pulled off onto a side street. I left the engine running and opened the hood. A big cloud of gas vapor rose from the engine compartment and a stream of gasoline was shooting onto the engine from where the disconnect came off. I ran back and shut the engine off. It was hard to believe that the thing never caught on fire there was so much gas vapor. After the thing cooled off I reconnected the line and drove home. If that had happened to my wife I'm sure things would have turned out different.

Does Mick Mouse apply to these connectors?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I always cut them off and replace the entire rubber line with new fuel injection hose and fuel injection band clamps.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
The right plastic fuel rail can still crack after the recall is performed. It isn't automatically replaced, just inspected and strengthening braces glued on. It is only replaced if there are signs of leakage. The braces were not a permanent fix IMO.
The dealer may re-perform the recall if you ask. That would hinge on parts availibility and Chrysler covering it again.
The quick-release couplings should be 'pinch and pull'. The barbs stay on the tubing. I agree that old underhood plastic becomes brittle and should be handled with care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im happy to report that I was finally able to release the two fuel lines on the fuel rails. The lines were frozen in the quick release sockets(No Lube?). I applied some penetrating oil and let it set over night. The next day I was able to move the two lines axially, once I was able to do that, the spring release was engaged and the lines came apart quite easily!

I have the fuel rail off and I noticed that one of the two braces was laying next to the right rail. This is the one towards the center of the rail. My thinking is to use JB Weld to reattach it to the side of the right rail. JB Weld has good high temperature qualities.

After cleaning up the area where the brace was attached I noticed a hairline crack. This doesn'r look good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im happy to report that I was finally able to release the two fuel lines on the fuel rails. The lines were frozen in the quick release sockets(No Lube?). I applied some penetrating oil and let it set over night. The next day I was able to move the two lines axially, once I was able to do that, the spring release was engaged and the lines came apart quite easily!

I have the fuel rail off and I noticed that one of the two braces was laying next to the right rail. This is the one towards the center of the rail. My thinking is to use JB Weld to reattach it to the side of the right rail. JB Weld has good high temperature qualities.

After cleaning up the area where the brace was attached I noticed a hairline crack. This doesn'r look good.
This is an interesting thread. How did the repair turn out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts