Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked and looked, and if this has been answered in another forum, I'm sorry.

My son somehow misplaced the transmission dipstick / indicator for our truck. I have called the local dealer, but they say that the dipsticks are all on back order.

I have called around to the used parts dealers, and none of them know if they have any dipsticks instock (All u-pull-it type places).

One of the local autoparts stores says they have a 'universal dipstick' but it needs to be cut to length....

My question is, how long is the stupid dipstick suppose to be? Help please.

(On a side note, I have 'capped' off the filler tube so that dirt or water doesn't get into the transmission.)

Thanks in advance.

'94 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab, SLT
42RH Trans
3.9 Liter, V6
2 wheel drive
Automatic

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I have this engine and transmission in my '92. If you can wait until tomorrow night, I'll measure the one in my truck, and how far from the bottom the add and fill marks are. It is very long, as I recall.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
I sure hope that you can find a used one or use a marked speedometer cable as a checker. The indicator only now comes as a complete tube and stick assembly. You can no longer buy just the indicator (dipstick). Part # is 52118622AB and it shows 52¾" long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had to wait, so if you get a chance to measure that would be great ..

I am looking for a used one, but the odds are not good. thanks for the part number, and thinking about it, 52" sounds a lot better than any other length that I have heard... (14" to 16")

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Thunderstorms here today, will check tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I measured the transmission dipstick on my 1991 Dakota with 5.2L V8 and 4 speed automatic (A500/A518) transmission. Length of dipstick from tip to cap is 18 3/4 inches. Low fill mark is 1 3/16 from pointed tip and high fill mark is 1 13/16 from pointed tip. This length does not agree with the specification given by Imperial Crown so maybe the dipstick was changed several years later????

You could insert a long length of clean, stiff wire into the dipstick tube and listen for the sound of the tip touching the bottom of the transmission pan. Note the location on the wire where it protrudes from the dipstick tube, withdraw it and measure from the end to that point. The difference between 52 and 18 is substantial so you can readily tell which measurement given previously is closest and the correct one.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
I have a scrap transmission from a 1994 V6 Dakota 2wd in my gargage. I think it still has the dipstick. Interested? Shipping is probably gonna be most of the cost I'd want for the dipstick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your help. We found a u-pull-it place where we found a 94 SLT, vying 3.9l engine. I think it was the same granny,but the dipstick seemed just a little different. It had a twist in the end of the indicator. It seems that it is the correct size, as when I check the levels in neutral, it shows that the fluid levels are good.

It is dark here now, so I am not able to measure it. I'll let everyone know tomorrow.

valiant67, thanks for the offer, but hopefully, I have one that will work out.

Again, thank you all for your help!

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Mine has a 90-degree twist. I'll measure it tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the dipstick we found was just over 34 from tip to inside cap, a 45 degree turn on the tip, 1 1/4" to min, 1 15/16" to max, does that sound about right?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Sorry to take so long. I measured the OEM dipstick in my 92 4x4 V-6 auto.

From lower tip to MIN, 1 1/4".
From lower tip to MAX, 1 7/8"
From lower tip to cap, 24"
From lower tip to top of finger loop, 26 1/2"

Dipstick is straight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts