Allpar Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Although the computer should usually be replaced as a last resort, it appears that you are about there. I feel your frustration. I went through the same thing on my 96 mini-van and replacing the computer with a junk yard unit resolved the problem (now about 7-8 years later with no no-start problems). It could be a bad solder joint or hairline crack on a board inside the ECU. These are sealed and potted, so no troubleshooting is possible.

You may not find one in a local boneyard, but check E-Bay. There are lots of yards that have listings on EBay. Also, there are re-manufactured units out there (A1 Cordone), and I remember seeing prices shown at about $100+.

Anyway you look at it, it's a gamble, but when you have exhausted all the testing possibilities, you've got to try the last resort.

Back in another lifetime, I owned a 91 Sundance and a 91 Spirit (still drive that one everyday). I had a computer failure that was the internal voltage regulator. The computers were identical so I could swap them for troubleshooting purposes. Man, that sure was nice. :)

Don't give up yet! Once you get to the bottom of it and get it fixed, you should be good for many years to come.
Best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I was pulling on the relay wires and the wires going to the computer connector while it was running to see if it would shut off and there was no change. Im going to pull the computer plug and look at it a little closer this time. If I can find a used computer cheap enough I will probably buy it.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I was pulling on the relay wires and the wires going to the computer connector while it was running to see if it would shut off and there was no change. Im going to pull the computer plug and look at it a little closer this time. If I can find a used computer cheap enough I will probably buy it.
Not trying to steer or influence your decision one way or the other, but here is a used unit on E-Bay that should fit your car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-COMPUTER-DODGE-SPIRIT-1994-PCM-ECU-ECM-OEM-/360810705771?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5401fe736b&vxp=mtr#ht_4330wt_896

For under $50 delivered, no tax, and no core charge; this is not bad. 10 years ago I was paying $25 plus tax, plus $1 yard fee, and a $10 core charge for used computers.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
$50 isn't too bad, and I agree with John that you are running out of options to explore. I just like to be very thorough before condemning the computer. The aftermarket options aren't nearly this cheap and I find that, 9 times out of 10, people end up sinking $150 or so into a computer only to have the problem crop up again. I know I was absolutely astonished to find out how little it actually takes to make an electrical connection go bad-- in my case, I felt like just looking at the car the wrong way made the difference. And, at the very least, you could resell the computer if it doesn't fix the issue, and maybe even make a bit of a profit :).

Purely out of curiosity, does anyone know if the OEM on the computers was Huntsville or one of Chrysler's other suppliers at the time (i.e. Mitsubishi)?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts