Allpar Forums banner

94 concorde transmission

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bens90W150 
#1 ·
I am trying to find the transmission control solenoid in a 94 Chrysler Concorde with a 3.3/6 cyl. I was told by the Dodge dealer it is on the drivers side on top of the transmission, I don't think so. I think it is inside the transmission. I would have to take the oil pan & filter off,am I right? I don't have the filter thats why I don't take it apart until I'm sure. Advance Auto sold me a bwd s9862 part. Can you help?

#2 ·
The sol pack is inside your 42RE on top of the valve body that also has to come out. The connector is on the upper passenger side of the transaxle. You have the correct part. The dealer was thinking of the 41TE with the external sol pack.
What fault code or problem are you having that you need to replace it?

#4 ·
You need to have the TCM read for fault codes at the dealer or a tranny shop with the proper type scanner. Be sure to ask for the CVI's (clutch volume index). Do nothing until you have this done as you can't just throw parts at these trannys. How many miles on the unit?

The tranny in my 95 LHS went south around 55K miles due to seal wear which was a common problem with these units. Tranny was o'hauled with revised parts plus an TCM software update and was fine after that.

Don't waste time and money throwing parts at it. Have the TCM read for any codes. Just my $0.02.

FredB

#6 ·
Did you rebuild it or did you have a shop do it? If so, I have to wonder if they used the proper type fluid. Anything but ATF+4 kills the Mopar transmissions. Any shop that says Dexron with an additive should be driven away from. Quickly! Any way to find out if that's what happened? Only 22,000 miles since a rebuild and you should not be having those problems if it were done correctly. At least that's my .02 worth.

#7 ·
Best to continue with the diagnosis. Generally the sol packs on these aren't the problem.
I don't understand what is meant by 'over shifting'. Does the transaxle go into 'limp-in' (2nd gear default)?
I would drive the car first and get it to act up to see what everybody is talking about.
If you get fault codes (it will need a scan tool capable of reading OBD I Chrysler TCMs), have them retrieve the CVI's (clutch volume indexes) as well to get an idea of internal clutch wear. If the rebuild used Chrysler clutches, then ATF+4 is necessary. The cooler must also have unrestricted flow.
The new TCM software was a vast improvement to desensitizing the transaxle to false fault codes and defaults while improving shift quality.
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.