Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I have a 94 G Caravan with 3.0 engine. The heat coming out of the heater didn't feel as warm as it used to so I thought I'd remove the heater hoses at the heater core and flush the core yesterday. I've done this a few times thru the years without any problems. After flushing I put the hoses back on and after the engine got warmed up I noticed steam and that familiar antifreeze odor in the van. I have replaced the hoses to the core and still have a major leak at the core. It looks like the hoses are just leaking, but I've also replaced the hose clamps and am sure they are tight. To get the hoses off I had to use pliers to twist the hoses to free them.

I guess my questions are: 1. Could I have broke the core removing the hoses? And, 2. Any suggestions on what to do? I sure don't want to have to replace the core.

Thanks for reading!
Danny

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Maybe you damaged the heater core by twisting, maybe by flushing. I never twist the hoses, as it does stress the outlet pipes, and they are soft. I always cut the hoses off with a razor knife and peel them away.

Can you spot whether the leak is inside the car or outside?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!

The leak is definitely on the outside. To me it looks like the hoses aren't tightened onto the inlet and outlet pipes. I start the engine and I can see antifreeze rushing out the end of the hoses. It looks like I don't have clamps installed but, I do.

I guess I don't know how to explain it. I'm running on about 3 hours sleep in the past 36 hours.

Danny

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
It sounds like you put new hoses on it and checked the clamps (of course double check). If there was twisting or tugging involved in getting the old hoses off, you may have cracked a joint where the copper inlet or outlet tube is welded or brazed to the heater core body. I once did that in another lifetime (maybe 40 years ago). Like Bob said, it is much safer to slice the hoses with a razor knife if they are stuck, and then peel them back with a flat screwdriver, gently pressed into the cut (or whatever method it takes to keep from putting strain on the fittings).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts