Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one should be simple. I hope.

Start it up, there's a steady trickle coming from the top of the gas tank. It is NOT coming from either of the fuel pump/fuel sender assemblies nor their seals, nor the rubber hoses plugged into them.

There's a flexible hose that comes off one of the solid lines and disappears into the top of the tank. I'm dreading having to pull the tank off the car, but before I do exploratory surgery, can anyone tell me what that hose is, and what it's supposed to be plugged into? Or better still, does anyone have a picture of the fuel system of this model year? All the hoses appear to be in decent shape, including the one I'm asking about.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, scratch this one for now, upon closer inspection I found two rubber hoses joined together with a 'center' piece of metal and two clamps. The hose joint was spewing fuel upwards, and making it appear that it was cascading down from the gas tank. Middle hose, the one that passes behind the lower one, the joint is behind the lower hose, you can see only one of the clamps.

Notice how clean the area above the gas tank is...that's probably from gasoline being squirted on it for a prolonged period of time. I only use my convertible sparingly these days, so I didn't really notice the smell until recently. Hopefully I can repair this without too much fuss. In the meantime I have disconnected the battery, jacked the car up and put a bucket under it, going to just let it leak and let the pressure off the fuel line for a day, then tackle it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hose with the crimp clamps on it is the problem child. Behind the lower hose it is also spliced together.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Someone did a hack repair once. Notice the words "SAE 30R7 NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION".

Best to replace all the hoses with 30R9 or 400R6, which are both rated for fuel injection (the latter is marine, 400 psi burst strength).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
It sure looks like you have a lot of under body rust from the looks of those lines and the condition of the fuel pump metalwork. I take it they use lots of road salt up there and the car has seen regular winter duty. How long have you had the car ? Have you washed/flushed ? out the undercarriage at any point ?
If you haven't, now would be a good time to give it a thorough wash down at a do it yourself car wash. ( Maybe even a couple of wash downs ) The hot soapy water followed by a good rinse would remove lingering salt and hopefully halt or slow down further progression of rust.
Fuel injection type hose clamps would also be in order while you're at it.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
This is normal for these cars. Almost 20 years old. Gen 3 Daytonas often have this much rust in most climates. There's no stopping it, certainly not from washing and rinsing it. I had mine sandblasted, primered and Ziebarted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts