Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Yes i am new to this forum and am seeking help and advise.
I am going to be purchasing a 94 accliam becuase oddly enough I like boxy cars such as the horizon/ omni and spirit/ acclaim.

Now my question is, is it possable to hit a 200 hp mark? I know I can get it to 150hp with the 2.5l turbo but im looking to at least compete with a neon. By way of building a sleeper.
What engine or mods should i be looking at that would work in the acclaim?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That is one way, the other is to build the 2.5L turbo as the old 2.2L turbo II. I have one of those in a 1986 Lebaron convertible (also a boxy car) that is right a 200 HP by running 14 psi boost. A Garrett turbo in place of the Mitsubishi puts out more upper end boost at the expense of low end boost and response. The 2.5L engine's longer stroke makes up for a lot of that.

If you want good resources for turbo information, www.turbododge.com and www.turbo-mopar.com, I am a member on both sites.

Reactions: KatoAK47

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,010 Posts
Hello. Yes i am new to this forum and am seeking help and advise.
I am going to be purchasing a 94 accliam becuase oddly enough I like boxy cars such as the horizon/ omni and spirit/ acclaim.

Now my question is, is it possable to hit a 200 hp mark? I know I can get it to 150hp with the 2.5l turbo but im looking to at least compete with a neon. By way of building a sleeper.
What engine or mods should i be looking at that would work in the acclaim?
The best you can do is to swap in turbo engine from a '91 Dodge Spirit RT that had the Lotus turbo (224 hp), but there were only 1,100 made with that engine. It's also not the most reliable engine.

Outside of that there are not many mods that significantly increase hp on the 2.5L 4 cylinder or the 3.0 V6. Which engine do you have? There was a MPI fuel injection system available for the 2.5L, but it was only sold in Mexico. US versions had the TBI set up.

Keep it well tuned and it should serve you fine. I had two Acclaims ('90 & '92). Both had the 2.5L engine. Averaged about 23 mpg with both. The 2.5L is easy to service. My '92 logged over 300,000 miles (heater core blew) and the '90 had 240K on the clock when I sold it. Wish I had kept the '90. Aside from the peeling paint and rust it was mechanically sound. Picked it up for only $300 with 110K miles on it in '03. Spent another $500 or so getting it road worthy and it served me well.

Here's my '90 back in the day:

upload_2019-1-18_8-29-0.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
37,852 Posts
One thing to look at is a Neon head swap. The 2.2/2.5 head is restrictive at high output levels and this is cheaper and more reliable than a T3 head

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have one of those I want to stick on a 2.5L turbo short block, I'm just not sure which way I want to go on the ignition. You can retain the stock location, or there are ways to mount it so the intake cam drives it, or go DIS using a crank sensor and the 2.0/2.4L cam sensor.

·
Super Moderator
21,700 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. You can also look into installing a Nitrous Oxide setup and burning racing/aviation fuel on 'race day'. It gets a bit costly and unnecessary on a daily driver, but it is a very good bang for the buck.
The engine, transaxle and the rest of the car must be in good condition and safe for the public roads first. I installed a NOS system on my '92 Shadow 2.5L EFI. It held together for years. I didn't tromp the gas often.

Nitrous oxide engine - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide_engine )

Mopar Specific Nitrous FAQ's (at https://www.nitrousexpress.com/moparfaq.html )

Check with your local DMV on vehicle modifications and if state inspection requires emission testing. With NOx, you can use the same drivetrain and PCM that you have now so there is no VIN change that might fail when you go for certification renewal. The auto insurance company might ask if the car has been altered or modified and for a signature. Safety first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do apologize for not posting back sooner. And i wish I had a chance to meet the great Gus.
I did indeed purchase the accliam with intent to mod it a bit but due to recent personal issues I may have to sell her.
I've driven her for a few months now and absolutely love it and damn near mint with only 72000 miles on her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts