Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. The water pump bearings are going out (again) on my 1994 Ram 1500 5.2L and I plan on replacing it with one that came on the replacement engine that I will eventually be swapping into this truck. I have run into a snag, however: the water pump on the truck now has a press on pulley, whereas the other water pump has a 4 bolt flange for a bolt on pulley. The water pump does not have the pulley with it, and I am not sure where to get one. I have checked the local parts stores with no luck, and I have only been able to find one online and it is more expensive than a new water pump!

A couple of questions:

1.) the obvious one: where can I get a bolt on pulley for relatively cheap? Junkyard, maybe?

2.) why are there two different methods of pulley attachment for these trucks?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Is there a big hex bolt head on the front of the pulley? If so, you will find a pin hole to stick a nail or allen wrench in to remove the pulley. I think this is the style you have, looks like the pulley is permanent, but it does come off. Mine was broken off and I had to get a junkyard pump to actually replace mine, thank god for the shop manual description to know how to change the pulley. Look at the threads, it may be reverse threaded on top of it, can't remember that part for sure.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I believe that the pulley with the four bolt holes is for a non-Magnum pump. That pump rotates clockwise, while Magnum pumps run CCW. That is likely the reason for the flange difference.There is a Magnum engine pump with the four hole flange that fits a 1991 Dakota 360, however. Any timing cover that does not have a boss for fuel pump mounting is not a Magnum cover, and the pumps run CCW. Don't ask how I know!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 4-bolt pulley pump is indeed for a magnum engine; it came off a 2000 dodge ram and is identical to the one on my '94 with the exception of how the pulley mounts. I have an LA style water pump hanging around my garage also, and the one in question looks nothing at all like the LA style. I checked around, and O'rielly auto parts carries the magnum-style water pump with the 4-bolt flange, but not the pulley for it.

Dana, the pump currently on my truck has the large hex for the fan in the center of the pulley; the pulley and the threaded stud are a single piece which is pressed onto the pump shaft. The other one has the threaded stud for the fan nut, but it is in the center of the 4 bolt flange. I will see if I can find a picture and post it....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok, figured out how to post them. The top one is the LA style, the middle one is the press on style (which is currently on my truck), and the bottom one is the pump in question.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a bolt on pulley today at the local LKQ for $8.00. Not a moment too soon, either; as soon as I got home and pulled in the driveway, the water pump started spewing coolant from behind the pulley. I still have no idea why there are two pulley designs, however. I do know that the bolt on style pulleys are apparently very difficult to come by.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Sounds like you lucked out. The hex nut on the center comes off by sticking a rod or bolt through one or both of the holes in the pulley to block it so you can turn the nut, but can't remember if it is reverse threaded or not. It was the kind I had on the Dakota, the end sticks out and I think the clutch fan attaches to it, can't remember. Am glad you found the one you needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts