Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to use my wipers this morning, turned the swtich and nothing. :thumbsdown:

They worked fine a few moments ago. Good thing I was close to home and didn't really need them.

A check of the fuse, it was good. I even swapped fuses just to be sure.

So the problem is either the switch, the wiring, or the wiper motor.

I do have spare motors. But a spare switch? :(

Mopar wants $105 and change with my father's employee discount.
AZ wants $58.99

Can any tell me is there a module for the wipres I'm not aware of and could possibly the problem?
Or just suck it up and buy a new switch?

I can hear the windshield washer operating when the end of the switch is depressed so I know that part of the switch still functions. For what it's worth.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you have intermiitent wipers, there is a "control module" between the switch and the motor.

Since your washer works, might try checking the ground coming off the module, the washer motor is grounded seperately on its own.

To eliminate/confirm any o fthe components, you should be able to jump out on the switch side and/or jump the motor directly.

If my Chilton's is correct (and I am reading it right) dark blue to the motor is the hot wire from the ignition, red/yellow, dark green and brown/white are direct from swicth to motor, bypassing the control module.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Some auto parts stores will check the motor for you. Call ahead to check.
I've had one motor burn out in 30 something years and I've had one where the ground strap on the mounting bolt got corroded and it was just not making a ground connection.

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
Check the ground on the motor first. It's easy, free and a relatively common problem.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Agree. That brass strap under the mounting bolt grommet was quite a common failure. If you can touch a jumper wire between the metal wiper motor case and body ground and they then work, that is probably your culprit. You can then add a ground wire.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you do end up needing to replace the multi-function switch unit, shop around. Same part used on a lot of Chrysler products for a lot of years, should be able to find a used one cheap or even new replacements start at under $30 on fleabay. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts