Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the V8 or V6 bell housing connect to the 4cyl 5sp tranny? I have an older (83) 318 I want to put in. I need to redo the 2.5. When I do I will put it in my Scamp. Both improved.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
I did a 2.5 to 3.9 swap and the bellhousings are different. The 3.9 and 5.2/5.9 bellhousings are the same, the transmissions for the 2.5 and 3.9 are the same transmissions (except the bellhousing), and the 5.2/5.9 transmission is a stouter unit from what I have read, but they are still the same case, just stronger. There are also two different clutch setups (dimensionally changed) during the 1995 year, there is an early and late date change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the date of change is when they changed the motor. I have the chrysler 2.5 not the AM version. I thought there was a difference between the v8 and v6 bell housing. I was also told I need a 10.5 in clutch.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
If a 727 bolts up to a 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9, I am pretty sure they are the same. Like I said, there is a heavier duty V8 transmission, so saying the V6 and V8 transmissions are the same is not a correct statement, the V8 trans is a beefier unit, but same bolt pattern.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes, if you have a V6/8 bellhousing.. it will both to the transmission from behind the 2.5L; as stated, the 2.5L and 3.9L both got the same transmission. Watch your rear end though.. That will be a weaker link to keep an eye on.. When it lets go, just upgrade to a rear diff from a V8 truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts