Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 2 everyone, I am in a pickle. Have a 95 Dodge P.u. with a 360. Problem is catalytic converter is bad. does nothing but rattle. This truck has 195000 miles and I am not going to replace the converter. Will just straight pipe it. Problem is how can I bypass the o2 sensor. Or should I drill hole into pipe and place the sensor there which may still give false warnings and cause the engine light to come on. Please if anyone can suggest the best option besides replacing the converter it would greatly be appreciated. THANKS

·
Registered
699 Posts
First of all, running with no O2 sensor, will put you in open loop all the time; and the injectors will dump maximum gas into the cylinders. Your fuel mileage will be expensive. I'd look for a junk yard catalytic converter and jury rig it on so you get some semblance of normal closed loop operation.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
Not sure where you are located, but as I recall it's illegal to sell/purchase used catalytic converters.

I managed to do replace the cat with a used one on the '79 El Camino I had at the time (mid-80's), but I learned shortly after that it became illegal.

I don't see anyway around this. In most states if the CEL is on, it is an automatic failure when going through safety or emissions inspection.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Doug D said:
Not sure where you are located, but as I recall it's illegal to sell/purchase used catalytic converters.

I managed to do replace the cat with a used one on the '79 El Camino I had at the time (mid-80's), but I learned shortly after that it became illegal.

I don't see anyway around this. In most states if the CEL is on, it is an automatic failure when going through safety or emissions inspection.
You are unlikely to get emissions testing unless your in or near cities. In my county they don't have them and the $25 stays in my pocket where it belongs.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is simple.
First I must mention -its illegal (federal NOT state) to remove or render inoperative an emission control component (cats big time)!! But as this is for 'OFF ROAD' use I will answer.

As already stated you will need a o2 sensor OR the performance will be AFU.
The 95 light duty emissions used 1 o2 sensor BEFORE the cat
Some used 2 o2 sensors 1 each bank both before the CAT -
If you have either of those replacing the sensors in the origional position will work.

If this has a POST after cat.. sensor... the use of a o2 simulator* will work.

Ask for more info if you are unsure,

*google o2 simulator. .

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Just replace the catcon and the O2 sensor. The law requires having it, and it is irrelevant how many miles are on the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
I didn't see any mention of Off-Road duty from the OP.
It will not run right at all without the proper O2 feedback or cat back-pressure. The O2 simulators seem to only be for the downstream O2 position which this vehicle would not have.
It is OBD 1 with the O2 before the cat element.
There are some great deals on 49-state 'direct fit' Y-pipe and cats online for under $200. If the pipes are good, a Universal cat can be had for around $50.
There really is no option for not replacing the cat nowadays. We may have been able to get away with it 30 years ago, but the fuel mixture calibration of the PCM now prevents this. You can't adjust anything to compensate. Do it right.
Tampering is a Federal rap.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
dak4x4 said:
You are unlikely to get emissions testing unless your in or near cities. In my county they don't have them and the $25 stays in my pocket where it belongs.
There are no emissions testing required in our county either, but your vehicle will fail the safety inspection if the CEL is on.

I don't see where the OP said the vehicle was for off-road use. Even if it is, tampering with the federal emissions is a no-no. Whether the vehicle is used off road or on road it's still emitting exhaust fumes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When my car's ECU goes "limp home" or "open loop" the lost fuel mileage and roar from losing 4th gear would sure encourage me to do whatever it takes to get the system back into operation. I did not measure the fuel mileage loss exactly but it was around 20-25%. Five to ten engine stalls an hour in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The only way to condone not using a Catalytic Converter is off road - . off road applications are emission exempt, think NASCAR, FARMING US military etc, . .

And with that caveat I addressed the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts