Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the upcountry suspension kit. I'm looking at ordering shocks and want to be sure to get good ones that are compatible with my setup. I am still running the same size tires as OEM.

Can anyone point me to some good brands/models that will work. I think I'm confusing myself comparing different shocks when they start mentioning how much lift they have. I'm not sure if, because of the upcountry suspension, I need shocks with lift or not.

I drive off road on rough and rutted gravel and through fields, but not 4-wheeling.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
You can't go wrong by following ImperialCrowns's advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll follow your advice. I'm personally not crazy about having blue and yellow shocks on my dark green Jeep, but since it's 18 years old, I care more about what works best on it.

Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to dig this back up, but I wanted to thank everyone who pointed me toward the Bilsteins. I finally got around to putting them on the Jeep and it rides SO much better! Oh, and the blue and yellow isn't as big an issue as I thought it might be, so no black paint needed...

Now, I just need to figure out how to improve the gas mileage! Ha!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
95JeepGC said:
Now, I just need to figure out how to improve the gas mileage! Ha!
Great!
Now, to improve that fuel economy, buy one more shock and install it on the go pedal.... ;)

Seriously, a good air cleaner, checking tire air pressure and using the cruise control, will help a bit.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I know this is a really old post but I thought you'd like to know, I put a set of those on our 98 ZJ...in 2002....they have about 120,000 miles on them and the damping is still like new. They are great shocks. I am putting a set of 5100s on my WK Limited....

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I know this is a really old post but I thought you'd like to know, I put a set of those on our 98 ZJ...in 2002....they have about 120,000 miles on them and the damping is still like new. They are great shocks. I am putting a set of 5100s on my WK Limited....
Good shocks, but I'd seriously question their longevity past 3 years. Seals, o-rings, etc. are all subject to deterioration from simply existing in the atmosphere. Gas pressure will also leak out over time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts