Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I am having troubles with my Chrysler Grand Voyager AWD 3.3 LE '95. I bought the car very cheap in great condition, knowing that the transmission is in a Limp Home Mode. To this moment, I have replaced all four sensors that are on the transmission, TCU and a solenoid pack. I am going to change the fluid and filter this weekend (I believe it is filled with dexron so I bought a FRAM filter with seal and Mopar ATF+4).

My question is: If I decide to replace the whole transmission, can I replace it with a604 from my GV 3.8 FWD? Are those differentials exactly the same with the same differential ratio in all a604s? I don't want to mess things up, I'd rather make the car FWD and sell AWD parts than destroy PTU, the torque converter and these parts.

Also, what can I try to replace next? I have no troubles finding all the parts, I had about 3 of these cars for spare parts in my back yard.

Thank you very much for any input, guys!

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
You would be best served by scanning the transmission for error codes rather than throwing parts at it. I know that may not be easy where you are at, but that is the only way to know what is going on with the transmission.

The 3.3 and 3.8 generally have different final drive ratios so I doubt you can swap them and not having a gearing problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have changed the filter and fluid (using the radiator hose method) today when I just ran out of gas so I was unable to try it. I will bring some more gas first thing tomorrow. I disconnected the negative cable from the battery so I hope the TCM will reset overnight, I installed a TCM from EU 3.3 92 Voyager with a sticker that said the firmware was updated.

The thing is, I do have parts, what I don't have is the reader ;) I know of a guy who does have it but he is about 60 miles away from me and the car isn't registered so I wanted to try as much as I could here at home before driving with plates from different car so far away :cop: If it doesn't run well tomorrow, I will drive it to school on Sunday (about halfway from my home to the guy) and then I will visit him during week..

The fluid that was in the tranny was very, very dirty, the tranny was overfilled, magnet was covered with metal debris but there were no bigger bits in the pan.

Anyways, thanks for input ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and to the tranny swapping. I cannot be sure that the tranny from 3.8 wasn't swapped for one from 3.3 in the past and I believe it wouldn't harm anything in FWD car, would it? So noone would notice.

I know there are trannys with different gear ratio, but that would be ok if the ratio in differential would be the same as the ratio in rear differential. At least that is what my simple brain with just common knowledge could come up with :)

edit: OH and one more thing.. I currently drive Plymouth Voyager SE 3.3 '91(2). The car isn't completely good, there are some rattles, noises, it has been in an accident once so it it blue/green, ... The engine and tranny are still in quite good shape. I am thinking I will make it a spare parts car if I will make the AWD car work (either as AWD or FWD). Could I take the 3.3 tranny and put it in the AWD? I read above there are different ratios in 3.3 and 3.8 but is the 3.3 tranny the same for AWD and FWD?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The '95 should be the last year you can get codes from the ECM by turning the key off and on 3 times. This will flash the ECM codes only. I doubt this will help you, BUT if you happen to have a communications error code, or some other hint of electrical trouble affecting the TCM as well (such as an out-of-range TPS), then this might help!
Of course, accessing the TCM via the blue CCD connector under the dash would be the best route to go for finding out why the trans controller is in limp-in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know about the check engine procedure for ECM error codes, that is not what I want to get (no error codes, btw). Here in Czech Republic it is very difficult to find someone familiar with these cars, but I fortunately know a guy who knows a guy who does have the the CCD diagnostics reader so I want to visit him this week. I will let you know how it went but I would be most thankful if anyone would come up with an idea :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
filip.cizek said:
I know about the check engine procedure for ECM error codes, that is not what I want to get (no error codes, btw). Here in Czech Republic it is very difficult to find someone familiar with these cars, but I fortunately know a guy who knows a guy who does have the the CCD diagnostics reader so I want to visit him this week. I will let you know how it went but I would be most thankful if anyone would come up with an idea :)
ok so I went to my friends friend who does have DRBII tool. The reader found a fault code, it was something about gear ratio in 3rd gear, which is according to the mechanic equivalent for a dead tranny. Is that so?

If someone here tells me it actually is a dead tranny (or the repair would be quite expensive), I am going to have the tranny replaced for a FWD and I will sell those AWD parts to my friend.

Just another quick question, how much does replacing the tranny cost in the USA? Not repairing, remanufacturing or anything, just replacing. It will cost me about 130 USD here in Czech Republic, EU.

·
Super Moderator
36,917 Posts
If there is a fault after shift code along with a gear ratio error code in any gear that does mean an internal parts failure. It may well be the transmission is dead.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I belive that you can swap the AWD parts from your dead tranny to any a604 (some one who knows for sure??)
- be sure that the gear ratio in the tranny is correct.
130$/ 100 euros for swapping the tranny sound ok to me....
I once owned a -95 awd and it was an awsome car as long as i didnt belive it was a jeep, great in winter and muddy fields towing
my horses...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The passenger side of the trans is different between FWD and AWD models because of where the AWD components mount to the trans between the passenger side front half shaft CV joint and the side of the trans.

On FWD models the passenger side half shaft just slides into the differential housing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts