Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this ultra-low-miles, 11K mileage Impala SS. It's my daily driver. After it sat for about five days I went to start it and I had to try three times to get it to start. It turned over, acted like it was starting, and revved down like keying-off. Before this, after sitting overnight it would do the same, but only once, starting the second time.

When it did it once, I did try turning the key to on to let the fuel pump pressurize, but on then trying to start it I still had the same problem.

Any suggestions? Had it only done it the one time I wouldn't be worried, but now that it has required more than one attempt at a single sitting I'm getting concerned.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's getting worse, today had to hit the key three times even when the car is warmed up...

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took some fuel rail pressure measurements today.

38psi when the fuel pump kicks on with the key on but not turned to start.
Jumps around when starting, both above and below, settling at 38psi.
Running engine, remains at 38psi at idle.
Revving engine, slowly drops to settle at 35psi.
Shutting engine off, jumps to 48psi for a moment then back down to 38 psi.

Did not do a long duration leakdown test, but it didn't appear to move for the minutes I was working on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
It sounds to me you're getting ready to lose your fuel pump. I'd post either on chevytalk.com or a Chevy 9C1 forum for better info.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have, and sadly, I haven't gotten a lot of good responses. Some from one of the Impala forums though, but nothing since getting fuel pressure results.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Does that one have a fuel pressure regulator, Tannon, or it it all controlled by the engine computer? If it has an FPR, maybe it's going bad.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gathering from what I'm reading on the Internet that the regulator is integral with the pump... If that's the case then it'll have to be a pump replacement.

I may do a leakdown test this weekend, if I do I want to have time to check it every hour or so and log the reading so that I can tell if it's really leaking down, and how quickly.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Did you pull fault codes? Those pressures don't seem abnormal.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to try again, nothing's lighting up to indicate a fault, but I have an OBD-I compatible Innova scanner...

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grrr... Stupid Innova 3120 doesn't work on '94 or '95 Impala for some stupid reason.

So, I'm back to the same situation as before, I've never used a code reader successfully for any of my own vehicles for an actual result. My Stratus never threw a code, my wife's Integra has never thrown a code, my Hardbody can't be read with a code reader, the '86 Trans Am I had couldn't be used with my OBD-I/II code reader, and my Impala can't be used with my OBD-I/II code reader.

I guess it's back to the jumper wire trick...

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Sticking AIS motor? Does it die if you keep your foot on accelerator, or only die if left on its on?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not actually tried putting my foot down. I was trained to not do that with FI vehicles, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, this is odd... The problem ceased basically as I posted last time.

I don't know if it's temperature related, or if I had bad fuel (which would be unlikely since there were several fillups over the months, some from gas stations other than Costco), or if the end of October through the end of February was a winter fuel blend here in the Phoenix area, but the car is starting fine at the moment...

Maybe if I have time this weekend I'll do another fuel pressure test, just to see if those numbers are the same as before or not.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And I researched it, and winter fuel blend is from November 1 to March 31, so we must still be on winter fuel...

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And this morning it's cool and rainy. the car was in the garage, but it did it one time trying to start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts