Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my car to work and the fuel light came on. So when i got off work I put gas in and drove it for a few miles afterwards. When I shut the car off and got back in it later it started up fine and drove fine and then a few minutes later... it was like some one flipped a switch and the car died... So i thought it was the fuel pump... So I replaced the fuel pump and the car is still not getting any fuel to the fuel rail... and i still dont hear the fuel pump turning on???? any suggestions where to start... I checked all the fuses and relays and all seem to be working.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
How much fuel did you put in after you changed the pump? It sometimes takes more than you think.
I'd pull a spark plug and check for spark. If you have spark, then try a little starter fluid or gas down the throttle body to see if it will start. If you don't have spark then the problem affects both.
You'll only hear the pump for a couple seconds when the key is first turns on. And it only does that a couple times then stops. The ASD relay can keep the fuel pump from working as well.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
If you have spark and can hear the ASD working, maybe you need to check your timing belt. I know it would be very coincidental, but the way you say it just died is suspicious.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Blew a fuse. pulled the 30 amp defrost one and it started right up. Where did you check?
Are you referring to the OP's car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes. Otherwise the ASD relay could be bad, and he might not be able to tell. I'm assuming he has lights and electrical, just no fuel pump starting. Also have had a clogged fuel filter cause it to die, but usually you would still hear the fuel pump, start up. Its probably that ASD relay from what it sounds like if its not the fuse. They are 5 or $6 if I remember correctly. Local store may be around $12 for one. Could also be a ground problem... depends on if he went over a bump... starter loose? I've had mice chew the wireing harness... of course then the car would start and run on its own. Do you get a click when starting, does the engine turn over? Then that would be no fuel... That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been have almost the same problem with mine.. I am just learning about these cars and the problems theyy might have.. Here is the thread i started and it is starting to make sense to me.. It does seem the problem may very well be the crankshaft position sensor, I am going ot change mine tomorrow and see if it solves the problem.. Ok it wont let me post the link for some reason, but look up the post I pit up saying 96 Neon sometimes will not start

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
It's not a good idea to run a fuel pump when it is dry. It will score the pump rotor/stator assembly. It needs fuel for lube and cooling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's not a good idea to run a fuel pump when it is dry. It will score the pump rotor/stator assembly. It needs fuel for lube and cooling.
Ya, that's why I used gas with the pump module hooked up with its output to a pressure test gage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts