Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, one of my nieces has a 95 Grand Am with the 2.3 four cylinder and is having a problem with it that I can't figure out. I'm about 100 miles from her, so don't have access to the car. The thing is, it just won't start when it's cold outside. Once it gets above 45 degrees, it starts just fine. Autozone, Advance and O'Reillys won't run the codes on it for her because the CEL isn't on. Autozone did check the battery and charging system for her and said they were both in good shape. She says it won't do anything at all when she puts the key in and tries to start it. No lights on the dash, no clicking from the starter, nothing. She can go to work and when she gets home, the car starts just fine. It's been cold here the last few mornings and she's had to borrow my brothers truck to get to work. He needs his truck back and she needs to get her car fixed. She's a single mom with two kids, so she needs to get to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I had her check the battery connections and cables for corrosion and she said it's all good. She's not afraid to get her hands dirty and is just looking for some help. I can't get to the car for a few days and she needs it ASAP. My wife had doctors appointments the next couple of days and I have to drive her because she's having a lot of tremors and muscle spasms. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
No click from the starter when cold would have to be a starter circuit problem. Maybe tap on the starter relay or starter motor itself the next time that this happens?
The PCM probably grounds the relay coil once it senses everything is OK, like the transaxle switch being in Park or Neutral. Maybe try starting it in Neutral with the foot on the brake next time this happens? When it isn't starting is the time to do diagnosis.
This may not leave behind a fault code.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, IC. What has me stumped is the fact that once it's 45 or above, it cranks and starts just fine. Just another reason not to own a Pontiac for me! LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts