Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The minivan (18 years old, 90,000mi) can't get up to speed. As the van warms up, it gets worse.

The van would rev to about 4,000rpm and go maybe 50-60mph at most, and it got worse after about 20-30min. of driving. At its worst, the van can't get going on a uphill start. If I let the van cools down, it will drive a little again. I feel like the torque converter is slipping. Can you think of what is wrong? I changed the computer that controls the transmission and that didn't help.

Also, the torque converter was replaced back in 1998 [at]50,000mi.

Just trying pick the brains here and thank you very much!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Assuming you've already checked your transmission fluid level? You're 40,000 miles since the torque converter, have you had a pan drop /filter change/ new fluid? Should do that every 30,000 miles, though that alone shouldn't cause this.

Have you checked fuel filter and fuel pressure? Could be a failing fuel pump. Do you have a habit of running the tank to empty or close to it? That's hard on the pump (which lives in the tank and is cooled by fuel...unless the tank is habitually empty).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the reply.

Fluid level is good and the color is nice and pink. Although the fluid is very old (up to 10 years) as the van doesn't get driven much ( only 30,000mi in the last 12 years)... It's a 95 car so my OBDII code scanner is useless for it... The fuel level of the van now is at the last tick mark. However, I almost always refuel before the fuel warning light comes on.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
What engine and transmission?

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Is the 'ck eng' or 'service engine soon' light on?
If so, you have a stored PCM fault code that would help give some direction to go in here. A TCM may not light an indicator saying that it has stored faults, but also may be your performance problem.
See if you can scrounge up, borrow or purchase time with an OBD I scan tool with the Chrysler engine (black 6-terminal underhood and battery (+) clip) and transaxle cable (inside gray or blue 6 or 8 terminal drivers side underdash) to help in engine or transaxle diagnosis. Otherwise, it could be either and we're just guessing. A lack of engine power or a slipping transaxle could cause this. What does the tach (if equipped) do going up a hill?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine and Transmission: 3.0L V6 with 4 speed Auto

[at]ImperialCrown. There are no warning lights on. The tach goes up to 4000rpm which is as far as I pushed the engine as I don't want to potentially do more damage.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Try to determine whether it is a lack of engine power or a transaxle slipping issue for the difficulty climbing hills. The transaxle will downshift and the engine rpm will come up when under load, on an uphill climb.
4000 rpm doesn't tell me much without knowing more about the circumstances.
This will help to choose a direction of diagnosis.
Some sensors can be way off and not set a fault code. This is where a scan tool sensor display reading would help.
Lack of power can be from plugged catalytic converters, defective O2 sensors, ign or valve timing problems, wrong sensor information, slipping clutches, etc. The list is too long without ruling out things one at a time in order to narrow the root cause down.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
4000 RPM and 60 MPH may be a sign of limp-home mode (trans in second gear).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts