Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the older 95 & prior vans had a converta-bed option. I saw that listed on a newer one on craigslist, "seats fold into bed", but no pictures to confirm.

Wondering if 96-00, and or 01-07 minivans had that option. If so, is it short, long, or both wheel bases?
I'm guessing you have to take headrests off, and its no longer a one motion transform, but curious if the two bench seats fold flat together into a bed. Pics would be nice. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
36,935 Posts
I've never seen it mentioned on the vans 1996 and newer. I've looked at a few of the sales brochures and there's no mention I saw of it.
Doesn't mean they didn't offer it though, I guess.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I cannot recall the bed option on any offering from 96 or newer - or 91-95, for that matter. I only recall it on the first generation 84-90 models.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,681 Posts
NssJ said:
I know the older 95 & prior vans had a converta-bed option. I saw that listed on a newer one on craigslist, "seats fold into bed", but no pictures to confirm.

Wondering if 96-00, and or 01-07 minivans had that option. If so, is it short, long, or both wheel bases?
I'm guessing you have to take headrests off, and its no longer a one motion transform, but curious if the two bench seats fold flat together into a bed. Pics would be nice. Thanks.
Like the others, I never saw this as an option from the factory for the Gen III/IV mini's. As far as I remember the bench seats only folded forward.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My '97 Voyager SE bench seats recline. I've never tried to fold them flat to make a bed. Maybe it would be possible on a lwb model, but I don't think there's enough room behind the rear seat in a shorty to get the rear seat flat. I'll have to try that soon and see.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 99 has this but it was not a standard feature. A lot of those vans had the built in child booster seats and that may be why there are different configurations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MOS said:
My 99 has this but it was not a standard feature. A lot of those vans had the built in child booster seats and that may be why there are different configurations.
Like both bench seats could be leaned back to form a bed? Long wheelbase?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I went out to check mine today, a 97 shorty with benches center and rear. The rear does indeed fold completely flat but only with the liftgate open. The second row only goes to about 150 degrees like A.J said.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the long wheel base and my grand caravan is a 2000 model. it appears that the 3rd row is the only row that folds completely flat and can only do so (without opening the tailgate) on the long wheelbase models.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
unless, maybe they had two 3rd row seats... Are the rows interchangeable on minivans too? I know my first 2 can swap on the full-size.

Is the 140* fold on the 2nd row, from bumping into the 3rd row bottom, or does the hinge itself just not go past that angle?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here are some grainy pics taken with my ancient blackberry. pardon the college student mess.

This is with both benches reclined as far as they will go

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A.j. Schreiber said:
way ahead of you, tried it before and could not get the 3rd row to latch in either 2nd row positions. and it hinges itself
Thanks for all the help!

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
We had a similar feature to what was inquired about in a competitor's van and honestly it wasn't very useful. The gaps between the seats and between the back and benches were too big, and the staggered offset of the middle and third row meant that someone got shortchanged. I suppose if one were exploring on a road trip without existing hotel bookings and found one's self unable to find lodging that it would function, but they weren't spectacular.

I'd think that Stow-n-Go and a keeping a rolled-up pad in the van would make a lot more sense. Fold the seats in, unroll the pad, stretch out and sleep...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts