Allpar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2L 2wd 5 Speed Manual NV3500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so welcome to my dilemma, the front coil springs on my 96 dakota v8 pickup are needing replaced. Everywhere I called said they didn't have the option for a v8 for the 96 year. So I did some research on this and what I've found is that I can only get 2" drop V8 springs for the 96 V8 or I can get regular V6 springs so what is your opinion? I'm almost thinking it had v6 springs and that's why they have gone out with only 129k miles. Now if I do the 2 inch drop im going to have to drop the rear also right? Any info on this would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
Given the option between putting V6 springs or aftermarket drop springs in the truck, I'd buy used V8 springs. Have you found the OEM part number for the springs and searched that?
There are two factors that are important in selecting springs, ride height and spring rate,

Do you want a lowered truck? Is that the look you're going for? Lowering often compromises ride and cargo hauling ability.

·
Super Moderator
32,584 Posts
I have a 92 Dakota. It's almost 30 years old. Yours is almost 26 years old. It's pure luck that any parts exist.
I would not speculate that it had the wrong springs from the factory. Mileage is not the prime consideration here. Your springs are 26 years old, and that's why they need replacement, apparently - what are the indications of this?
If you have to choose between V-6 springs or a 2" drop, I'd try to find out the spring rate of each and see which gave me a height closer to the original.
Not sure how you could drop the rear spring height. Aren't they leaf springs?

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
If the truck is a 2WD the rear axle is located above the leaf spring (If I'm remembering correctly) so they truck can be lowered by placing a block between the leaf spring and the rear axle. If it's A 4WD the axle is below the spring so a "flip kit" to place the axle above the spring is necessary.

Any lowering decreasing suspension travel. The truck may bottom on the bounce stops making the ride harsh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 92 Dakota. It's almost 30 years old. Yours is almost 26 years old. It's pure luck that any parts exist.
I would not speculate that it had the wrong springs from the factory. Mileage is not the prime consideration here. Your springs are 26 years old, and that's why they need replacement, apparently - what are the indications of this?
If you have to choose between V-6 springs or a 2" drop, I'd try to find out the spring rate of each and see which gave me a height closer to the original.
Not talking about dropping the spring height in the rear. But putting a lowering kit on it. If I drop the front 2inches it would look funny if I didn't drop the rear end. Normal drop is 2" in the front and 4" in the rear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
M
If the truck is a 2WD the rear axle is located above the leaf spring (If I'm remembering correctly) so they truck can be lowered by placing a block between the leaf spring and the rear axle. If it's A 4WD the axle is below the spring so a "flip kit" to place the axle above the spring is necessary.

Any lowering decreasing suspension travel. The truck may bottom on the bounce stops making the ride harsh.
Mine is a 2wd manual 96 dakota sport. But the axle is below the rear springs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also I just know that normally most mechanics or dealerships don't even inspect the front coil springs until about 200k miles. Mine being 129k and parked a lot on and off I didn't expect them to break this early on. Truck has had a pretty easy life as my grandfather has owned it since 99 or 2000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given the option between putting V6 springs or aftermarket drop springs in the truck, I'd buy used V8 springs. Have you found the OEM part number for the springs and searched that?
There are two factors that are important in selecting springs, ride height and spring rate,

Do you want a lowered truck? Is that the look you're going for? Lowering often compromises ride and cargo hauling ability.
I did call and get the number for the part based off of my VIN I have not tried looking it up yet. And eventually I would lower it as to the fact that I want to turn it into a show truck or street and strip truck.

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
M

Mine is a 2wd manual 96 dakota sport. But the axle is below the rear springs.
I wasn't sure when they changed it. So it's probably going to need an axle flip.
There's not much you'd gain from de-arching the springs.

·
Super Moderator
32,584 Posts
So the springs actually broke? :oops:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the springs actually broke? :oops:
As far as I can tell yes the driver side one did break. And I believe it's been broken for a while andy local Less than Schwab over looked it when I took it in and had them look over everything and at that time all 4 shocks and a ball joint were replaced. When it happened the upper control arm mount shifted about half an inch and felt like someone hit me at 25 mph. They aligned everything which bought me about 2k miles and now here we are again finding that it's the springs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't sure when they changed it. So it's probably going to need an axle flip.
There's not much you'd gain from de-arching the springs.
The springs are basically flat as it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will see what I can find going off of the OEM part number that I got from my local dodge dealership off of my VIN number. :cool:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Try calling these people :

Coil Spring Specialties, LLC in Missouri, 785-437-2025

They can make you any coil spring you want and can also help you figure out what you need, they can look up the OEM part number and get the spring information, hopefully.

They made some coils springs for my 03 B1500 a few years back that I was having a hard time finding, even made them 20 % thicker and .75" taller than OEM, price was not bad either.

Not sure if you are allowed to give a plug for a company or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts